Running Progress from Oracle Virtual PC, recreate Database?

PanicProgress

Hello everybody:

I'm trying to setup Progress 9.1b in Windows 7 through Oracle Virtual PC - Windows XP,
and, I have this situation:

There is several databases which original paths are: D:\DATABASE\DATABASE FOLDER...

Inside virtual PC - Windows XP I only have a C:\ disk , I have a shared folder set to a network drive named D:\

so I have D:\DATABASE\ DATABASE FOLDER...
but .. :(
I get the "JunMsg023 error 20931"
and something like "file not found" ,

when I try to start databases through Progress Explorer Tool.

It's like , Progress doesn't recognize the D:\ drive.

Someone told me that I have to re-create the databases again through Progress.. but I don't know how to do it, if someone could help me, ... :) thanks in advance.

Does somebody have tried to do similar stuff? running Progress inside a Virtual Machine ?

regards!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I think we need clarification on a few things.

I'm trying to setup Progress 9.1b in Windows 7 through Oracle Virtual PC - Windows XP

It sounds like you're actually trying to set up Progress 9.1b in a Windows XP VM, not in Windows 7. I assume Windows 7 is the host OS. Is this correct?
Is your virtualization software Microsoft Virtual PC or Oracle VirtualBox?

There is several databases which original paths are: D:\DATABASE\DATABASE FOLDER...

Original paths on which machine?

Inside virtual PC - Windows XP I only have a C:\ disk , I have a shared folder set to a network drive named D:\

so I have D:\DATABASE\ DATABASE FOLDER...

Your databases reside on some physical machine, let's call it dbserver. When you are logged in to dbserver, the databases are in a directory structure like D:\database\db1, D:\database\db2, etc. You have shared the directory D:\database, so the DB directories's UNC paths are \\dbserver\database\db1, \\dbserver\database\db2, etc. I assume dbserver is also running Windows XP and has Progress 9.1b installed, with the same Progress service pack as your VM.

In your VM you have created a mapped drive called D:, and it points to UNC path \\dbserver\database. So in your VM the databases reside in D:\db1, D:\db2, etc. Is this correct so far?

In Windows Explorer on the VM can you see a directory listing of the database directories on dbserver using the D: drive mapping?

Does somebody have tried to do similar stuff? running Progress inside a Virtual Machine ?

Yes, you can run Progress databases in virtual machines. It's a common practice.