Restore a progress database file

m_dbuser

Hello-

I am new to progress. I have a database back file for a progress database. What application should I use to restore the file; and ultimately view the data?

Thanks in advance,

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If the backup was created with PROBKUP you would restore it with PROREST. For instance:

probkup sports2000 sports200.pbk

This will create a backup of the world-famous "sports2000" database in a single file named "sports2000.pbk". The backup file name and extension are arbitrary - they can be anything that you would like.

It is possible that the backup consists of multiple files (or "extents"). This is done by specifying the volume size with the -vs option and by providing a list of additional file names to use (either manually by typing when prompted or via shell redirection). If so you will need to reverse this process when restoring. The first extent is always specified on the command line!

The -com option is also very useful when making a backup. It eliminates empty and unused blocks. It does not perform "zip" style compression.

To restore a single file backup:

prorest sports2000 sports2000.bk

To restore a multiple extent backup:

prorest sports2000 sports2000.pbk1 < restore.lis

where "restore.lis" might be a file such as:

sports2000.pbk2
sports2000.pbk3
sports2000.pbk4
sports2000.pbk5

(If the database already exists in the directory that you are restoring to you will be prompted about whether or not to over-write that database. If the answer is going to be "y" and you are using multiple files put the "y" on the first line of the restore.list file.)