[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE: sticky sessions for APSV and failover

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roy Ellis

I will try to answer the original question in this thread and that may help with "hijacked" question. 1) You only need to use "sticky sessions" in load balancing if you are using 4GL or Open clients through a load balancer to PASOE. If you are using, WEB, REST, or SOAP transports you don't need "sticky sessions" 2) Our "classic" client to AppServer communication makes a request that creates a session (and therefore a cookie for sticky sessions). The next request to do the actual work must return back to same AppServer/PASOE or the client will get an error that the session cannot be found. 3) For load balancers, if sticky sessions are set and the PASOE that it was bound to goes away, the load balancer will probably send an error and the client will have to reconnect, this is outside of PASOE, and may differ between load balancers, so I can't tell you exact error. 4) As Dave has said, there is a feature in our backlog to fix this for StateFree operating modes of 4GL and Open clients, but you will have to be make it known how much you need this feature. BTW: StateAware, StateReset, and StateLess will still need sticky sessions in load balancing architectures. David, Above I answered how sticky sessions work, we set a cookie to be used by the load balancer (except for AWS ELB where we have to use their cookie). Tomcat load balancing will still need for sticky sessions for 4GL or Open Client to PASOE. I have no experience with "highly available redis cluster". Please let me know if you have further questions, Roy

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.