Open Edge Editor

Hi Everybody,

Do we have any separate Open Edge Editor in which advanced concepts like classes and objects can be used.

Do we have a plug in which supports Progress with Eclipse application?

If so can anyone send me some links for this? Can anyone help me out in this regard.

:confused:

DevTeam

Hi,

ABL can be used in the usual OpenEdge Procedure Editor.

However an Eclipse plugin is provided by PSC into the OpenEdge "Architect" edition.

dayv2005

Yeah i been thinking about using it. But haven't had the time lately to get it all together.

Is OpenEdge Architect and Enterprise Architect two completely different applications?

parul

With 10.X OpenEdge comes with 2 type pf licenses.
Openedge Stidio - the usual appbuilder stuff
OpenEdge Architect - OpenEdge Studio + Eclipse ADE.

PSC has developed a plugin of OpenEdge for Eclipse. They provide it as OpenEdge Architect.
Eclipse is an open source ADE used widely.

Enterprise architect is a UML modeling tool that can be used with OpenEdge (and many other languages).
There is a plugin available for eclipse also. So it can be used from within OpenEdge architect.

If you haven't used OpenEdge Architect then I would recommend trying it. I am sure you will like it.
Start with the OpenEdge architech - Fully loaded presentation on PSDN.

HTH.
-Parul.

Thanks for your information and also i need to know an information, from where can i get the plug-in downloaded.

I searched for this but in-vain. Can u show me a right path for this.

parul

This plugin comes with OpenEedg architect.

You have to upgrade to 10.1 (architect) to get it.

If you upgrade to 10.1 architech you will get a fully configured eclipse env along with it.

-Parul.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The key point here is that OpenEdge Architect is a licensed, i.e., purchased, application, not a free download. Talk to your sales rep or partner. If you have a development license for an earlier version, there is an upgrade path.

For information on Enterprise Architect see http://www.sparxsystems.com

eMe

I have installed:

Version Number: 10.1B

It has two products:
Product Name: OE Studio
Product Name: OE Application Svr Ent

Ehhh...Must I upgrade to architect? Then, how must I proceed to have eclipse?

1st) Download eclipse.
2nd) Search for a plugin?

Am I correct in something? Or is everything wrong?

DevTeam

No need to download Eclipse. If you purchase an Architect licence, Eclipse & the corresponding Progress plugin will be included in the installation pack (I think their plugin works with Eclipse v3.2 whereas the currently downloadable version is 3.3)

parul

Yes!!.
Go to PSDN.com and download the progress eval version.
It is the openedge architect (Comes with eclipse).

-Parul.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Note that in current versions, there are two products where in earlier versions there was only one. Now there is OpenEdge Architect, which is the one based on Eclipse, and OpenEdge Studio, which is the one which is based on AppBuilder. With each version, more and more of the OES functionality gets added to OEA, e.g., I think OEA covers Dynamics now, so clearly the long term plan is for OEA to be the only product. While they are separate licenses, there is a program which allows you to just ask the rep and then you can have both for no additional cost. This is certainly ideal for giving them a long try out, although it may not be obvious to you at all times which functionality goes with which product. There was some [heated] discussion at Exchange about the need to have more than a year and I don't know what will happen with that, although by the time we get to 10.3, it may not matter. Hard to tell.

If you are heavy into dependence on the AppBuilder, then you are going to need to keep OES for the duration. But, if not, perhaps you can just move to OEA instead.

eMe

well...I think my dependence to OES is huge, First, I must want to take a try to OEA... I'll must do it slowly :)