Free ODBC or Dataserver

nelsonbatistajr

Hello
I have the need to interconnect a base progress to a base oracle.
Both must be able to read and write each other.
Thus, I wonder if just using a ODBC client will be possible to meet the need or be required to license Dataserver.

Thank you for all.

RealHeavyDude

As you are telling nothing about the Progress/OpenEdge version you are talking about ...

Starting with Progress V9 the SQL92 engines was introduced to the product and ODBC/JDBC drivers were offered by Progress. If you are at least on V9 you can use ODBC/JDBC to connect to a Progress database. But I would not recommend using it with V9 - V9 is stone age software.

You can only achieve bi-directional replication from outside of the application or the database. Progress does not offer such a product and AFAIK there is none available in the market. Therefore you need to roll your own.

If you need more advise you should explain your requirement in more detail.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

nelsonbatistajr

I'm talking about SQL Client Access.
It enables other applications or access, connect to a database through the progress odbc connection using JDBC drive.

My question is: to get a program in progress insert/modify data in an Oracle database or vice versa, I can use the same driver or have to use the Oracle Dataserver?

Thanks for the help.

RealHeavyDude

If you want to access an Oracle database from within the Progress ABL then you need the Data Server for Oracle which you must buy licenses for from Progress. In order to determine whether your combination will work you need to look at the product availability guide.

If you want to access an Oracle database via ODBC/JDBC then I am pretty sure you will need to buy their drivers ( don't know Oracle but I know that the OpenEdge ODBC/JDBC drivers won't work ).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

cj_brandt

We just setup a connection between Oracle and Progress - the user can now run PL/SQL and pull data from Progress.
Oracle HS ODBC and the free SQL 64 client access.
This was Oracle 11, OE 10.2B06 and AIX.
The performance is pretty bad, we haven't taken time to figure out why yet.