Question DB to be converted

Hi,

I started the DB in OE11. I was not used the command conv1011 . DB was originally in 10.
I could be able to start the DB in 11. However I am trying to connect the DB from remote OE 11 client I am getting an error unable to connect to the database . Client OS is WIN8.

Is it because of the DB was not conveted to 11 using conv1011?

Note :- I could be able to start a clint session from the server with out any errors. Only remote client connect is giving an error.

Regards
-philip-

RealHeavyDude

I've never tried to start a database server with OE11 executable against an OE10 database. I am suprised that the server even came up. But then again, you can mix and match probkup and prorest between these releases without getting much of an error message. Only later, when you try to access the database you are noticing that you are hosed.

IMHO this is a bug and an error telling you that you are using the executable from the wrong version should have popped up immediately.

If you don't want to go down the dump, create a new database from scratch & load route there is no other way than using conv1011.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
It's perfectly possible to host a v10 db with a v11 client. What is not possible is to run v11 rcode with a v10 client or vice versa. So if you're hoping to make an environment with both v10 and v11 clients, then you'll need 2 sets of rcode in both versions.
And if you've got v11, then why not convert the db to v11? You can still connect v10 clients to a v11 db so long as you also have v10 rcode to use.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You can still connect v10 clients to a v11 db so long as you also have v10 rcode to use.

Have you tested running a v10 client against a v11 database? It didn't work for me. Note that Philip isn't running a v11 database. He's said he's running a v10 database with a v11 proserve. Like RHD, I doubt that is happening.

This is what I get using 11.3 to proserve a v10 DB:
Code:
proenv>proserve sp
OpenEdge Release 11.3 as of Wed Jul 17 16:46:26 EDT 2013
10:59:47 BROKER  ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4246, pro: 4269). (44)
10:59:47 BROKER  ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4246, pro: 4269). (44)
10:59:47 BROKER  This broker will terminate when session ends. (5405)
10:59:48 BROKER  ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4246, pro: 4269). (44)
10:59:48 BROKER  ** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4246, pro: 4269). (44)
10:59:48 BROKER  ** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619)

The broker terminates and the database is not opened. None of its files are updated.

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I started the DB in OE11. I was not used the command conv1011 . DB was originally in 10.

As I said above I doubt you started an unconverted v10 database with OE 11. Have you checked that your environment (DLC, PATH) are correctly set for 11? Also, what is your exact OE version?

If you did manage to start the DB this way, can you post the startup portion of your DB log, starting with the (333) message?

I could be able to start the DB in 11. However I am trying to connect the DB from remote OE 11 client I am getting an error unable to connect to the database . Client OS is WIN8.

Is it because of the DB was not conveted to 11 using conv1011?

Note :- I could be able to start a clint session from the server with out any errors. Only remote client connect is giving an error.

What is the error?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Ah yes sorry - classic case of not reading the question properly.

As an aside I have successfully connected v10 client to v11 db. I don't remember how though ;)

RealHeavyDude

The only way that I know that this works is to have a OE 10 client connect to the OE11 AppServer.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.