Database Sensitivity...more like that....

rcgomez11

Good Day ProgressTalkers,

Is there a way or workaround on how can I know or something like will prompt on my pc whenever a record was added on my database?
I'm on my way on creating a feature where if somebody is already logged on and somebody tries to log-in with the same username and password, It will terminate the session of the user that is already logged and start a new session with the new user. I'm thinking with that "Database Sensitivity", I can work on that event.
I'm also open and looking forward for some opinions from you guys, thanks in advance and have a great day...

Sincerely,
Romel Gomez

rzr

if somebody is already logged on and somebody tries to log-in with the same username and password, It will terminate the session of the user that is already logged and start a new session with the new user

what if the user-1 is in middle of a transaction?

we used something like:
RUN src/system/run_oscom.p ("sudo sh -c ""proshut ./db/account.db -C disconnect " + string (work-users1.id-proc) + """"). // for linux server part

_connect table can be used to identify user names already connected to db.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yike that sounds unfriendly! At most I would think you would want to notice a duplicate login and *ask* what to do if you didn't want to allow it. That doesn't require any magic notification.

GregTomkins

If you are using AppServers (including WebSpeed), this should be straightforward to implement in the Activate procedure. It would depend how you manage sessions, I suppose. In our case, every time Activate runs, we check to make sure the session was logged in legitimately before we do anything. It would be trivial for a new login to invalidate any sessions under the same login ID.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
And, extremely unfriendly to merely terminate the validity of the former session.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Sometimes the best answer to a question is Don't Do That!™ I.e., to question whether the thing the person wants to do is actually a good thing to do.