Binary Dump Code Page

vincenteam

Hi,

I'm migrating fron Progress v9.1E 02 to OpenEdge 10.1B 02 betewenn two SUN servers.

The V9 database has ibm850 codepage and the OE 10 db has iso8859-1 codepage.
The question is: can we run the binary dump process with iso8859-1 codepage or run the binary load process with ibm850 codepage ?

Thanks in advance.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
You can't. Either convert the ibm-850 database first to iso8859-1 or convert the 10.1B database after load to iso8859-1.

From the documentation:
PROUTIL DUMP does not record the code page of the data it writes to the dump file.
Dumped data can only be loaded to a database with the same code page as the source
database. Use the ASCII dump and load utilities to perform a code page conversion with

your dump and load

BTW 10.2A is the latest release,so while you are at it, use this one :)

Regards,
Casper

alex10

Thanks Casper,

I verify and both my databases has the same code page, now when i try the binary load it prompt for a confirmation, is possible to set Yes as default answer? because i have a script to binary load

hp ux 11.v3
old: OE 9.1e
new: OE 10.2A

/pro102a/dlc/bin/proutil /mydb/db10/db1 -C load /mydb/db10/tmp/db1/usrc_ctrl.bd
Warning: input .bd file contains no code page information.
If you are certain the .bd file originated from a database with code page iso8859-1 then enter Y to continue. (10853)

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
If you are sure that both databses have the same codepage then you can enter yes.
I never encountered this question during a dump/load. Are you really sure the database has not the undefined codepage?
Did you perfrom the binary dump yourself?

Casper.

alex10

Yes, for the dump i use:

/pro91e/dlc/bin/proutil /mydb/dbprod/db1 -C dump usrc_ctrl /mydb/db10/tmp/db1

for the load

/pro102a/dlc/bin/proutil /mydb/db10/db1 -C load /mydb/db10/tmp/db1/usrc_ctrl.bd

and then i get
Warning: input .bd file contains no code page information.
If you are certain the .bd file originated from a database with code page iso8859-1 then enter Y to continue. (10853)

If i answerd Y it load without a problem, but there are many tables and i dont want do it manually.

Thanks again

RealHeavyDude

Just one note:

ibm850 and iso8859-1 contain the same characters but on different positions ( for example the German Umlauts ). Therefore, if you load data that was dumped binary from a ibm850 database into one with iso8859-1 you will find these characters screwed up. Please be aware that iso8859-1 like ibm850 do not contain the € sign!

Since both contain the same characters ( each character of one code page is present in the other one ) you can easily change the code page of either the source databaes or the target database so that the code pages match ( proutil db-name -C convchar convert ).

In this special case clients that use one of the code pages can connect to the database seamlessly ( Progress will do the code page conversion for you without you noticing ).

HTH, RealHeavyDude.