Best Configuration

cmm

I need a "little" help, can anybody says to me what the minimum configuration for a costumer who have:

120 users
3 Databases (8.0 GB + 2.5 GB + 1.1 GB).

In the machine resides only the Databases (is in client-server mode).

Krokodile

How much disk space and RAm your server has??

Ideally You shud have BIW & AIW running but also think about starting APWs depending up on the system activity. I read in Progress docs that 9 APW is all you need but most common use is 2 APWs.

If you have plenty of RAM then don't hesitate in using a bigger number in -B (currently I use 250000); If your system has too much automation process to create/delete/update records then choose a heavy number on -L(thisu can use heavy as 1 entry costs only 14KB)

rest depends up on system study.
always define -D, -TB & -TM etc...

cmm

In this moment I have

4 GB of Ram and 10 Disks of 18 Gbytes.

I don't understand this sentence

- thisu can use heavy as 1 entry costs only 14KB - ????

And why this parameter -TB & -TM

Krokodile

this u can use heavy as 1 entry costs only 14KB -> refers to -L parameter for lock table. i meant u can use a big number like 50k or more if ur daily activities update/delete/create a lot of records.

Btw i might have understood ur Q wrong. which side u need help with. system hardware config or DB tuning??

Two machine - 1 Client - 1 Server.

Client
1GB Ram
Locally installed copy of Progress Client Networking.
1 CPU

Server.
As a general rule, this is where the money goes!

As much much memory as you can afford.
As many spindles as you can squeeze into the chassis.
At least 2 CPUs.

Get as much network bandwidth between the two machines as you can, on as short a cable run as you can!

Tuning.
Take a close look at the -Mm parameter.
Make sure that your database buffer hit rate approches 99.5%
Look closely at -Mn, -Mi etc
Make sure that you specify -T to be on a local drive for both client and server.