Backup large db on UNIX

Maria

How do I run a full backup on a Unix system for a database that is larger than 2GB. It keeps hitting the 2 GB barrier and erroring out. Is there some way to tell the command to start another file when it hits the 2GB limit?

natalie

What command are you running?
We use the following to back our db's up to tape:
/usr/dlc9/bin/probkup online ${dbpath}/${dbname} ${TDEV}

They're over 10GB each, and we have no problem.

breakdown

probkup file size

Use the -vs switch on probkup and specify a file size that you want the backup files to be. You will then have to pass it a list of files to use once the first file size limit is reached.

"-vs" will multiply the database blocksize by whatever value you provide for "-vs". For example, running a db with an 8k blocksize and a -vs of 250000 will create a backup file that is right at 2GB.

use this:
$DLC/bin/probkup /DATABASE backup.1 -vs 250000 < BACKUPFILES

The contents of BACKUPFILES would be the following:
backup.2
backup.3
backup.4
backup.5
etc...

The probkup utility will use as many "backup.#" files as it needs, as long as they are in the "BACKUPFILES" file. Make sure you put a lot of entries in that file to cover all your data. If you have a 4GB database, I'd make available at least 3 backup files at 2GB each.

Any questions about this, feel free to email me.

govindankvs

Beter option is to set your ULIMIT o fyour OS to handle laege files so that it will create ONE SINGLE FILE ..

REgards
Govindan

methyl

In addition to upping "ulimit" you usually have to change the filesystem to handle files larger than 2Gb. e.g. In HPUX "fsadm -F vxfs -o largefiles /dev/...".
However the 2Gb limits in unix usually extend to backup software. Breaking the "probkup" files down to multiple files of size < 2Gb is sound advice and a lot less hassle.