Why an OpenEdge Architect for Linux doesn't exist?

ezequiel

Eclipse is multi-plattaform. OpenEdge Architect is based on Eclipse.

The Progress database server for Unix/Linux has always existed, i think.

So, why can't I develop on Linux?

Marian EDU

Eclipse is multi-plattaform. OpenEdge Architect is based on Eclipse.
So, why can't I develop on Linux?

That looks like a valid observation and they did promised there will be a (limited) version of OEA available for Linux in OE11, just before the launch they changed their mind or couldn't make it so there isn't one in OE11. No clue if there will ever be one or the idea was simply dropped.

The major issue seems to be there is no graphical client for Linux, most of the OE tools integrated in OEA are built for graphical environment and also probably the most important feature - the visual designer - is built specifically for Windows (.Net)... there sure are pieces that can work very well in Linux but seems like they couldn't decided to go with that strip-down version for now.

Most of us that work most below the UI layer we'll be more than happy to get the striped-down version, well... getting the ProxyGen to work for Linux shouldn't be that hard as for Data Dictionary maybe it's time to move to something that looks more like an ERD (have something started in Okapi project for that, we'll see if we can integrate it to load data definition files).

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
The key issue here has always been the perception of the market for such a tool compared with the cost of developing and testing the tool for the platform. Clearly, some of the development people involved are sympathetic to the idea, but can't convince the bean counters to allocate funds to the program. My guess is that this is because the people who would like this capability are only a small fraction of independent consultants, ones who either work primarily on ChUI or who have specialized practices that allows them to not have to deal with UI. To tip the balance, we need some large shops, either ISVs or large support organizations to be lobbying for Linux as a development platform. Of course, if Linux ever became important as a deployment platform for the client, that would do it in a moment, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Like anything else, the thing to do is to lobby your salesrep and hope that he or she will forward the request up the chain and result in enough critical mass. That, and keep showing up at Info Exchanges and voting for it.

ezequiel

Thanks to both of you.

In my work we also think that the problem is the unexistent graphical client for Linux.

There could be one, anyway, if Progress pick one Linux graph interface (v.g. Gnome), and work just in that one. Just one popular flavor would do it. A good agreement with the manufacturer (v.g. Canonical, Red Hat...) would help.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Right, but again the question is what demand is there in the market. If the only people who would actually use it are a couple of dozen sole practitioner consultants, it clearly wouldn't be worth PSC's effort. If QAD would decide that it should be the future client deployment platform, it would.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
As Marian points out -- OEA is very attractive for a lot of non-UI reasons. Personally, it is my opinion that VD is the least interesting and least important part of OEA.

If we keep encouraging the perspective that OEA is all about visual designer then nothing will ever change and we will never see it in any other light.

To coin a phrase -- Friends don't let friends spread VD ;)

RealHeavyDude

Before they introduced the .NET GUI to the product Progress always claimed that they had the best platform to build business logic. Come OpenEdge 10.0a - OERA anyone? Plus they always claimed to have one of the most open platforms on the market and they encouraged people to build UIs with .NET and Java against the OE business logic. Still the development tool (the AppBuilder it was back then) didn't catch up and, IMHO, is and always was UI focused. Now they are making the same with the OpenEdge Archtict. From that point of view they are pretty much consistent, aren't they?

Gone is all the hope back from the days when the Dynamics development got serious and some of the developers started to use Eclipse because they thought that the OpenEdge Studio just sucked. At that point I really thought that there could be a chance that one day they would support their statements that it's all about the business logic with a proper development tool that would not cost you a fortune. Turns out that I am way to optimistic ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.