when can ProgressGroup give some course of training in china

rainylsh

when can ProgressGroup give us some course of training in China?
i have been use progress DB about 1 year.most of time i write some report forms but i will do more things future than i do now, i need hnow about it general,so i want be given some training. i'm in China now.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Progress offers web-based training as well. So location shouldn't be a problem....

Look at: http://progress.netdimensions.com/progress/nd/fresco/content/packages/library/descriptions_OE.htm

for courses to follow.

If you plan on taking more courses throughout the year then OpenEdge Library maybe the best buy....
The OpenEdge Library is a subscription-based service that gives you access to all of our courses for the low price of $1500 USD for 12 months per student. This means that for the length of the subscription, you have unlimited online access to the entire Progress OpenEdge Catalog (over 40 titles). New in 2007, you will have access to the entire Progress Sonic Catalog and other Progress Product training that will be developed during the year. New courses and course updates will be added to the OpenEdge Library in the coming year as well so you can keep pace with changing functionality right at your desktop.

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
(Personally I don't find online training effective. I know that it works for some people but I find much more value in live interactions.)

You might also try forming a user's group. If you can pull together like minded people then perhaps you can make a case for Progress to bring an event like Exchange or PTW to your part of the world. Or your PUG could put together a shorter event of its own -- many PUGs manage to put on an annual 2 day event with a mix of speakers from PSC, the PUG and 3rd parties.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I agree with Tom, but since there doesn't seem to be any organised training centre in China, the on line webbased training could shed some light on stuff.

Best thing is offcourse to learn it from the experts self with some hands on training. But although I live in a country which has lots of live trainings, most courses I followed, brought me the same as if I would have done it by my self...

In my experience exchange or PTW brings lots of in depth knowledge about almost everything you want (and don't want :)) to know.

Casper.

rainylsh

thanks everyone.
but how can i get the case, when i had togethered some people.
how can i get in touch with the groups(PSC/PUG/3rd parties) in China.
as casper saying and as i hnow, there is no training centre in China.
what's PTW meaning?PUG?PSC? what are they full name?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
PSC = Progress Software Corporation
PUG = Progress User's Group
PTW = Progress Technical World, a roughly 3 day long user's conference sponsored by Progress and held in various locations around the world.

Contact Progress by way of your sales person or by following the contact information at http://progress.com.

You form a PUG by sponsoring meetings of like minded people in your city or region. The hard part is getting the word out and finding those people. You might start by posting something in the chit/chat forum or some such place here at ProgressTalk, posting on PSDN (Progress Software Developers Network, http://psdn.com) and PEG (the Progress E-Mail Group, the grand-daddy of Progress oriented online forums and by far the largest audience). If you can get enough people interested then you can probably get PSC to help out with organizing your group.

nate100

Guys, what do you think of the future for Progress developers in the US. Do you feel there is a market?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Progress is a niche market.

Which, IMHO, is a good thing. It isn't attractive to hordes of people so you aren't faced with a "race to the bottom" competing with every Tom, Dick and Harry who can spell "Progress".

It does, however, mean that jobs can be a bit thin on the ground in places so you will probably do better if you're able and willing to travel.

Moreover Progress applications are usually more focused on the business needs that they address than they are on technology issues. Which gives you a chance to specialize even more and bring even greater value to your customers (or employer).