what is the best way to capture displayed data in a frame?

David Ung

Our last consultant gave us source codes but they are encrypted! All we need to do is to capture a displayed data (in this case a total amount) and change one condition such as (if the total amount is greater than YYY then display a warning message). Because the condition is hard coded (in encrypted files), we thought we can use trigger(s), whcih can capture the total amount and to apply it with the new condition coded in the trigger(s).

Thank you again for your help.

PS. Progress version 8

cecsno

David Ung said:
Our last consultant gave us source codes but they are encrypted! All we need to do is to capture a displayed data (in this case a total amount) and change one condition such as (if the total amount is greater than YYY then display a warning message). Because the condition is hard coded (in encrypted files), we thought we can use trigger(s), whcih can capture the total amount and to apply it with the new condition coded in the trigger(s).

Thank you again for your help.

PS. Progress version 8
Is everything encrypted? Do you have access to the frame? Is total amount a database field or a variable? If it is a database field, you could use an assign trigger. (char or gui) (modal or event driven)?

David Ung

I can access to include file (.i). The field that I want to capture is a variable (total_amount). We are using GUI.

cecsno

David Ung said:
I can access to include file (.i). The field that I want to capture is a variable (total_amount). We are using GUI.
It's hard to tell, but you may be able to put in a U/I trigger.

ON value-changed of total_amount
do:
/* if total_amount > v-limit then ..... */

end.

or

on leave of total_amount /* in frame ??? */
do:
/* if total_amount:screen-value > v-limit then .... */

end.

David Ung

But the problem is the variable total_amount is not defined in my trigger program. Therefore the compiler displays an error message.

cecsno

David Ung said:
But the problem is the variable total_amount is not defined in my trigger program. Therefore the compiler displays an error message.

Is the frame define in the include file? How do you know the variables name is "total_amount"? If this is an event driven program you should be able to put the trigger in the include file. If your writting a separate trigger procedure, you will still have to fire it from the include, and you will have to define total_amount as a variable or input parameter.

David Ung

I found the solution.

Need to go through all the children (widget-handle) from the parent and get the widget name.