Question What Does utcompil.p Do?

northcott

Does anyone know if there's anything special that utcompil.p is actually doing when compiling code? Is it just a wrapper around the normal COMPILE statement?

Backstory: We're running an older version of QAD and it seems to be limited to 24 characters in per filename, including the path. With the way our build environment is set up this means we generally have 15 characters for the filename. This isn't usually an issue because our program naming scheme generally fits with QAD's cramped names, but I've been wanting to try some of the OOABL features and after using a tiny package name and the .cls extension, that leaves me with 8 characters to work with.

I wouldn't mind extending our scripts to handle the COMPILE'ing myself, but I don't want to miss out on anything that QAD is doing behind the scenes.

W.Wulmsen

Can you be more precise with version of QAD etc?

The utcompil.p compiles related to the version of QAD the programs in to us/<XX> paths.
The triggers *.t are placed in triggers directory and certain programs are placed under the QAD base directory.

northcott

Thanks. We're using an old 7.x version, but a fairly recent OpenEdge version. We don't use any multilingual features or triggers (I don't think). I guess my real question is if I'm compiling an OOABL class and not using any QAD includes, do I need to use utcompil.p for some reason, or will a COMPILE statement in an appropriately configured Progress session suffice? We have scripts that handle moving the r-code to the appropriate directories, so I'm wondering if I could just compile the classes myself without any problems.

W.Wulmsen

Whenever it has no relation to the standard modules, you can do what you want to do.
Use you own compilation method.
The thing is if your OpenEgde can handle it, you can do what you want.