What books?

futurebird

Hello, I'm new to using progress and I'm looking for a good bok that will show me how to use it. I've worked with perl PHP and mySQL in the past. Now I'd like to creat a wbe interface for progress . Right now the databse is controlled by Associan Plus. Do any of you guys know about this.

Mostly just a good book would help me to figure out what step to take next-- any thoughts?

U

Unregistered

Good Luck. I've been asking Progress this question for the past several years. Everyone who knows Progress, knows they are horrible when it comes to any literature or books pertaining to development with Progress, or more specifically, developing web applications with webspeed.

Unlike the world of SQL, ASP, PHP, java, Coldfusion, Perl etc. Progress seems to want to make you go through your VAR, or spend $1000.00 or more on classes to learn just the basics of their applications. Thats why Progress is a literal "unknown" in the Western United States.

Their is one book I know of. Its blue and called The Progress source book I think. Honestly that is the only book that is available. Unfortunately its old and may not deal with Progress 9 or above. It doesnt deal with webspeed at all. Many Progress people will say, "Hey there are tons of progress manuals," but you and I both know thats not what we are looking for. By the way, This web site "is the only" website with any up to date info on Progress. Problem is its just a message board.

If you are using PHP I would suggest checking out Nusphere. Its actually another Progress company. They are just enhancing open source mySQL, charging a fee, and making it a robust environment for web app development. Of course, this in no way helps at all if the company you are working for is using a Progress database.

futurebird

thanks ... I guess

I just thought of something. Maybe what I need to do is as questions. These are vary basic... so don't get mad--

What is the extension for the file the DB is saved as?
Where will I find it?
How is the data stored? (ie is it comma-separated text or a proprietary format?)

What do I need to talk to the database with perl?
How can I tell if I have what I need?

Is there any command-line DB interface?
Where to I access the command line?
Where can I learn commands to use there?

How do I find out what version of progress I'm running?

At the site progress.com you can download what they call a 'web client.' I was unable to get this DL to work-- and I don't know if I even want that. Has anyone tried the web client?

What is the SQL style for queries in progress?
If I have an Access 97 database that connects to the progress database and I'm using the query writer where do I learn the syntax for the queries there?
Will the syntax be the same on the command line?

Thanks for any answers! I know this is a lot. But, I find the pdf from the progress web site very confusing.

Susan

Answers

What is the extension for the file the DB is saved as?
.db

Where will I find it?

You will normally have a copy of the demo sports database in your c:\DLC directory. Databases can be saved pretty much anywhere though. (On the client, on the server etc...).

How is the data stored? (ie is it comma-separated text or a proprietary format?)

You can get the data how you want it. You can output the data using the admin tools and select the delimiter yourself. I normally program a 4GL routine to pull the data that i want out and load it into a text file.

What do I need to talk to the database with perl?

If you want to connect with progress using Perl you could try downloading procgi http://www.fast4gl.com/downloads/procgi.tar.Z.

How can I tell if I have what I need?

If you want to program progress you will require a licence. You can see what version of progress you have by reading the file progress.cfg.

Is there any command-line DB interface?

Yes

Where can I learn commands to use there?
There is a nice handbook CD supplied with progress

What is the SQL style for queries in progress?

I wouldnt use SQL as it is normally slower, program the statement in 4GL using the structure

For Each TABLE where TABLE.FIELD1 = X:
Disp TABLE.FIELD2

futurebird

Infomix?

Thanks for the answers! Well, I'm thinking of getting <a href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131493949/qid=996505144/sr=1-7/ref=sc_b_7/104-7320719-6631143>this</a> book becuse I hope it will help me to understnd 4GL even though it is about informix. What do you guys think?

Susan