Webspeed Server Upgrade

kirsch59

I plan on upgrading the server that WebSpeed (10.1.C cgiip.exe) is currently running on. Does WebSpeed run on Windows Server 2012 and 2016? Is there anything I should be aware of when installing and configuring the software?

I appreciate the help.

Mark

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Functionally, WebSpeed is OE App Server. OE 11.6.3 has been certified on Windows Server 2016.
OpenEdge Product Availability Guides and Life Cycle Guide - Wiki - OpenEdge General - Progress Community
Progress KB - Windows Server 2016 64-bit certification/supportability

OE 10.1C is old. It shipped almost 10 years ago and was retired over 3 years ago. It won't be certified on modern OSes.

Running old retired web software and running applications on unsupported OSes are both risky propositions in my book. I recommend that you upgrade to a supported OE release if you can.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
It is possible to run a v11 client against a v10 database, with some limitations.

I'm not sure I see the point though. Typically the hardest part to upgrade is the client side, e.g. due to application-compatibility issues, use of new reserved keywords in old code, dependencies on old frameworks, inability to recompile, etc. If you can upgrade the client side to 11.6.3, what would prevent you from also upgrading the database to v11? That part should be easy.

RealHeavyDude

What you cannot do is use a OE11 client principal against a OE10 database - just in case you are using the client principal.