Webspeed Licensing Question

troup1998

We have Openedge 11.4

Is there a product named "Webspeed Workshop" which has a serial number?

OR is it part of another product?

Does it even exist? or would it be included in one of these products

1. OE Enterprise RDBMS
2. Client Networking
3. 4GL Development System
4. OE App Server Enterprise

TIA

Stefan

AppServer / WebSpeed are combined in #4. Not sure if this contains the workshop, that could be part of #3.

Hmm... based on searching for webspeed workshop license on site:progress.com seems to imply that there actually is a separate license for this.

Progress KB - Can OE Application Server license compile Webspeed Programs?

Update: just checked the 2013 product price list - 'Progress WebSpeed Workshop' is a license you can buy - not sure what functionality it adds though, since AppServer and 4GL Development System give you everything you need to do WebSpeed development.

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Back in the v9 days, WebSpeed had its own version numbers (3.1, etc.) and its own product license. As Stefan said, in v10 and v11 the runtime portion of WebSpeed is in the AppServer products, Basic or Enterprise. But you can't compile WebSpeed code with only AppServer installed as you'll be missing the required e4gl-gen.r compilation program.

WebSpeed Workshop includes the %DLC%\gui\webutil library with this program. It is a separately-licensed development product and is Windows-only. It also has some functionality our web developers like, e.g. a browser UI to browse file systems, view propath, run scratch programs, etc. It's nothing you can't do in PDSOE, in my opinion, but I'm certainly no WebSpeed expert; I might be missing something.

If you're in a Windows environment, you can compile WebSpeed code with either a WebSpeed Workshop or 4GL Development System license. In Unix, you need 4GL Development System.

Take care in choosing the license model for your WebSpeed-specific AppServers. If your web application end users are classified as "unknown users" then you have to choose the Access Agent model for both front-end (AppServer Basic or Enterprise) and back-end (Workgroup or Enterprise RDBMS). Unlike the Named User or Registered Client models, Access Agent is a single-server license model and it is also more expensive per seat than the others. But this latter point makes sense as it is intended for many-to-one usage.

With regard to the RDBMS license, note that a given application might require more than one. For example if I had a an application with both a GUI front-end and a web UI, I might have something like this for a single environment:

Enterprise RDBMS, 100 users, Named User (NBP) (GUI app, server side)
Client Networking, 100 users, Named User (NBP) (GUI app, client side)
Enterprise RDBMS, 5 agents, Access Agent (AAP) (WebSpeed app, server side)*
Enterprise AppServer, 5 agents, Access Agent (AAP) (WebSpeed app, client side)

*this second RDBMS license is sometimes referred to as a "paper license" as it isn't installed on the server; it is just purchased for compliance.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I should also note that there is a third product on the price list called OE Development Server. I don't remember too much about it but there should be info about it in the deployment manual if you're interested. It is basically the developer version of AppServer, with restrictions like a max of 2 agents, similar to AppServer Basic. As a development product, not a deployment product, it is not for use in production environments. I'm not sure offhand if it includes the compile library for WebSpeed.