very basic question...

hi all,
Greetings from richards

what is cluster?
can u please explain what is Blocks Per Cluster?

how to define it in the sense

is their any relation between (in defining blocks per cluster)
a) records per block and block per cluster?
b) blocks per cluster and extent size?
c) blocks per cluster and database blocksize?

in detail please?

regards
Richards

hi Karavati,
Greetings from Richards
the PPT u have send is superb.thank u
and one more favour,if u have some more ppt's regarding Progress Database please send me b'cos in our ompany we r going to give a global seminar in it,nearly 57 country employees wil participate in it.

people shud know about Progress.even we have started a new competency for Progress in our company.
please do this favour for me... even i could get more knowledge in it.

and also i thought to to give an overview of progres presentation for Oracle and SQL DBA's.i have all progress Documents but no ppt's or word doc.my personal id is richieasir@gmail.com

so am expecting those from u,Karavati and all who r visiting this thread,please send me those PPT's or documents u have.

once again thanks a lot for ur ppt.

regards
Richards.

hi
overview of progress database say evolution of progress.

i wil give just overview in the sense how to start and shutdown it.....creatind and deleting......AI image....dump and load.etc

no specification Karavati,i need to use both presentation and also i need to show demo. am using linux server.so demo ,i can give from creating to dump and load,just i need to explain all those utilities but theoritically, i need to expalin and i need to clear their doubts(its tough)

and if u hav the difference between progress and oracle database
also progress and sql,please send me those or if u know any link give me,i wil make use of it.

thank u so much for ur reply.but globally the presentation will be taken by our senior progress DBA...he is from united states.he called and said to prepare ppt's and i need to send it to him.the one what u have send is very nice.
i wil consolidate everything and will send the one to him.

regards
Richards

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you're going to have 50 or so people there you might want to consider having someone a bit more experienced with the subject matter give the presentations.

The local Progress office is often able to provide technical speakers (make sure that it is an experienced technical speaker -- they also often provide clueless sales drones). Many independent consultants are willing to speak to user groups if you can cover their expenses to get there and back. We're even more willing to do it if you can arrange for some local, billable, work to be done. The key is advance notice and preparation time -- for instance I will be presenting to PUGs in Canada, The Netherlands and Germany at the end of October & the start of November. Those plans were all made months ago.

As for source material -- go to PSDN, click on the "events" bullet under "community" then then "user conferences" & "exchange". Poke around in there and you will find a wealth of topics to talk about. The raw PPTs are certainly useful but a big part of the value is the experience of the speaker -- there is a lot more to a successful session than merely reading the text on the PPT.

Good luck!

great words from u TOM.

Thank u so much.

after my presenation, i wil post the presentation here so that everyone can able to use it.

Tom, if u give me ur personal ID,before giving presentation i can send u the ppt,so that u could give some ideas to make it better than the best.

anyway globally it wil be taken by our senior Progress DBA.but i need to give presentation for oracle and sql dba's.its a short time presentation but the one which is going to take globally will be a full day presentation.

I will make use of PSDN.

once again,thank u so much.

regards
Richards

palthe

Hi Tom,

very offtopic, I know...

Maybe I'll come and visit the PUG in Veldhoven! I never even heard of these User Group conferences, but I'm sure they are of considerable value to the community. It's just a feeling I have, but I believe that Progress is a minor player in Europe, as opposed to the US. So these User Groups are very important to keep the Progress community alive and kicking.

After all, Progress is the best by far! ;)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Actually Progress is probably better known in Europe than in the US ;) The NL PUG is one of the largest and most successful of all -- these events are very well attended and an excellent opportunity to learn more and get better connected with the Progress community.

rhi

and if u hav the difference between progress and oracle database
also progress and sql,please send me those or if u know any link give me,i wil make use of it.

It may be a little late, this link may help. Reference OpenEdge database for Progress. If your purpose is to "sell" Progress to Oracle and SQL DBA's I doubt you will have much success. While Progress has come a long way in the last 5 years, they are lagging far behind Oracle & SQL server in terms of features. And it will likely stay that way. It just simply due to the fact that Oracle and MS have the cash to pump into R&D. Oracle invest about $2billion/year in R&D, Progress total revenue doesn't even reach $1 bil.

I agree that of the big name vendors, Progress looks most like Oracle than the others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems