utf-8 for mfg/pro eb2.1 (.NET interface)

daibt

Hi all,

Coudl you tell me how to install mfg/pro eb2.1 SP4 (.NET UI) wiht utf-8? (we comes from Vietnam, so we need utf-8 for Vietnamese language)

Thanks in advance.

oldemanw

Hello Daibt,

You initially set up the empty database and load the MFG/Pro datastructures.
When that is done, you can convert the database into UTF-8 using
proutil <database> -C convchar UTF-8

Hope this helps.
Willem.

oldemanw

My last answer wasn't complete... When the datbase is in UTF-8, the software around it must be capable of handling UTF-8 too, so you must recompile.

We use multilanguage (English, Japanese, Chinese etc.), so all software is compiled with cpinternal = undefined, cprcodeout = undefined, cpstream = undefined and cpcoll = basic.
When the client starts, the codepage parameters are passed in the .pf file (e.g. the .pf file for chinese users has -cpinternal GB2312 -cpstream GB2312).

Currently we use the character interface only, towards the end of the year we may dive into the .NET UI interface.

telnet connect connmgrDemonstration.bat. Get an error message!

Hi,

I have test on my env:
- OpenEdge 10.1A02
- DataServer for Progress
- Win2k3 Standard 32bit
- MFG/PRO eB2.1 SP4
- Desktop 2.9.1
- .NETUI 1.1

All step I did :
  • - Create 3 DB (Empty, demo, Product)
  • - Convert these empty databases to UTF-8
(proutil {dbname} –C convchar convert UTF-8)
  • - Convert the Demo databases to UTF-8
  • - Load the UTF-8 collation table
( {Progress install directory}\prolang\utf\ICU-UCA.df)
  • - Mandatory index rebuild
  • - Recompile
  • - Generate scripts
  • - Modify and addition line "Change the database startup script"
(-cpcoll icu-uca –cpinternal utf-8 –cpstream utf-8)
  • - Modify and addition line the "connmger.Demonstration" script
(- add -ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpstream utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca sbhelp mfsb.p)
  • - Edit the $DLC/properties/ubroker.properties file
( -cpinternal utf-8 -cpstream utf-8 -cpcoll ICU-UCA to srvrStartupParam)
  • - Save and Restart all services

But...when I test with telnet session, connect connmgrDemonstration.bat. Get an error message! ( pls see the attached files)

oldemanw, pls follow with me on this thread, can you ?

Have fun!

Attachments

• err1.bmp
    369.9 KB · Views: 26
  • err2.bmp
    369.9 KB · Views: 20

oldemanw

Hi mfg_newbie,

It seems that you have an error in the connmger.Demonstration script...
Could it be that
- add -ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpstream utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca sbhelp mfsb.p
has a space between the "-" and the "add"? I don't think it needs one there.

Note that I have no experience with desktop / .net ui.

-Willem.

Hi,

here is the connmgrDemonstration.bat file

@echo off
REM Script to start multi-user session of MFG/PRO

REM tokens:
REM &DLC = Progress Directory
REM &CLIENT-DB-CONNECT = command line to connect to each db in dbset

SET DLC=c:\qad\progress\openedge
SET PATH=%PATH%;%DLC%\bin
SET PROMSGS=%DLC%\promsgs
SET PROTERMCAP=%DLC%\protermcap
SET PROPATH=C:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\qadui\com\mfgpro,.,c:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli,c:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\bbi

REM
REM Start MFG/PRO.
REM

c:
cd c:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\telnet
call c:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\telnet\setMP.cmd
C:
cd C:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\qadui
c:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\telnet\_ProgresMP.exe -rereadnolock -c 30 -d mdy -yy 1920 -Bt 350 -D 100 -mmax 3000 -nb 200 -s 128 -noshvarfix -pf c:\qad\mfgsvr\Demonstration.pf -ininame C:\qad\mfgsvr\chrcli\qadui\qadui.chr -cpterm ibm850 -p mfwb01a.p -param mfgwrapper=true
add -ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca -sbhelp mfsb.p

Try to change "-" and try to delete "-add", "-ucc"....still get the error message. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pls help me

Regards,
Vinh Nguyen

Hi,

Try to change "-" and try to delete "-add", "-ucc"....still get the error message. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok, I will explain clearly...try to change 3-4 options on the script

• add -ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca -sbhelp mfsb.p
  • -ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca -sbhelp mfsb.p
  • ucc -cpinternal utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca -sbhelp mfsb.p
  • -cpinternal utf-8 -cpcoll icu-uca -sbhelp mfsb.p

Have any advices from you ? Thank in advance

Regards
Vinh Nguyen

oldemanw

Ah, now I see.
It appears that the "add" is on a new line, so Windows tries to execute the command "add", which does not exist (hence the error message in your screenprint).
Everything should be on one line (so that progress sees them as parameters).

Hi,

Thank for your reply,
Ensure I enter the addition in new line...but error message still there :confused::confused::confused:

Pls help
Vinh Nguyen

oldemanw

Newbie,

You should call progress with everything in one line, do not spread parameters across multiple lines.

Rgds,
Willem

oldemanw

Hi Vinh,

What happens if you comment out the last line (where progress is called), run the script and then start progress by hand? E.g. you enter that last line manually on the command line.

Willem.

Hi Vinh,

What happens if you comment out the last line (where progress is called), run the script and then start progress by hand? E.g. you enter that last line manually on the command line.

Willem.

oldemanw,

You know, I try to change many ways but it does not diffirently. the same error message all above. Pls help me!

Regards,

oldemanw

Vinh,

Get yourself some documentation on DOS-scripting and a set of Progress manuals. I cannot take you by the hand all the way, sorry.

Regards,
-Willem.

lggoo

I encountered the same problem with when I define with -cpinternal utf-8 -cpstream utf-8.
By default, mfg will give an warning message on data corruption if you set your codepage to utf-8. You need to press "spacebar" to get through this message.
U can try adding -noutf8warning to your connmgr.Demonstration code and see if it gets through.

Regards

Hi,

Pls help me

Regards,
Vinh Nguyen

lggoo

Stating your connmgr.Demonstration and telnet.Demonstration with parameters such as "-cpinternal utf-8 -cpstream utf-8 -noutf8warning" will allow me to display Japanese, Chinese, English data from DB correctly under .net environment.

However, there are still some underlying problems left unsolve....
1) User entry in Japanese and Chinese characters will result in garbage
when trying to do commit data.
( User entry in Windows (double byte) while utf-8 is using 3-4 bytes. If might have something to do with IME....just wondering)
2)Reports in MFG are using "raw", which is byte approach ....which results in reports that are out of alignment......for those whom are interested might wanna check out gplabel.p for more details.
(I am now writing a program to handle terminal and .net for displaying and reporting purposes)

Please let me know if there is any easier approach to solve the data entry and displaying issues.

Ginger

I have inquiried QAD, they are said QAD SE is not support unicode, we need to upgrade to EE if we would like to use unicode in .NetUI.