Using NO-PREFETCH improve performance?

erickroco9611

Well...

I´ve developed some programs that works among them in diferent servers, even separated for a long distance (Diferent States).

I use this only for transport (I know that there´re others ways like Plain File or XML)... anyway!! I use this for transport information across the Company´s Network.

Sometime I had a "locking" problem and I got and advice of using NO-PREFETCH in "FOR EACH" and "FIND" sentences... And believe or not it works!!!

But now I´m suffering problems with other applications, because I took this practice (Add NO-PREFETCH to all my FOR EACh and FIND sentences). The problemm is downgrade of performance.

Tha law (PROGRESS) said... "NO-PREFETCH: Specifies that only one record is sent across the network at a time. If you are accessing a remote server and do not specify this option, Progress might send more than one record from the server to the client in each network packet. Sending more than one packet may, in rare cases, create inconsistencies with Progress Version 6 or earlier."

My questions are... This really improve the Traffic on the Network? How this affect the Performance of my Applications?

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
What version of Progress are you using?

You usually want more (useful) data to be sent per packet and you also usually want Progress to do as much caching and so forth as it can. NO-PREFETCH defeats that sort of stuff. So, generally speaking, NO-PREFETCH is going to result in poorer performance.

I think you have likely taken (possibly questionable) advice on resolving a specific locking problem out of context and applied it far too broadly.