Answered SYSTEM ERROR: Unexpected block type ITBLBLK encountered in upanalys

LarryD

After converting a 10.2B database to OE11.3.1, I tried to run a tabanalys (and the error also occurs during dbanalys), I am getting the following error:

SYSTEM ERROR: Unexpected block type ITBLBLK encountered in upanalys
SYSTEM ERROR: Memory violation. (49)

I couldn't find anything in the kbase.

Has anyone ever seen this error? (not the memory violation, the unexpected block type)

If not, I will contact Progress support, but was just wondering if anyone has seen this one before.

LarryD

Well.... they can't find that error either! Sending the protrace files to them. Will let you know what transpires.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I can't find any reference to ITBLBLK as a block type; or any other reference, for that matter.

We're in the process of moving to 11.3.1 so I'll be interested to hear the upshot.

LarryD

Quick update:

Support has logged a 'defect' with development, and reportedly they think they know what the issue is.

I am awaiting their resolution (or workaround or whatever).

I'll keep you informed.

EDIT: FYI --- we are installing OE11.3.1 on Redhat 6.5.

One thing they did find that we were missing and needs installed is one of the compat libraries:

compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122.i386.rpm (or later)

It's on the installation CD or downloadable from one of the rpm repositories (and yes, there are dependencies) that are noted on the web.

However that did not fix the issue.

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Thanks Larry. Are they saying that this library is definitely required on RHEL (and clone?) installations with 11.3.1? What would be the impact of not having it installed?

LarryD

Rob, to be honest no they didn't so I cannot actually say one way or the other. That was the first thing they had me try, but it didn't work and we still received that error. The way it was worded seemed to imply it was necessary (and I do see entries in the kbase that mentions the compat-libstdc libraries).

Code:
"Cause
compat-libstdc++ is missing on the Linux system
Resolution
On Red Hat Linux:

Install the compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122 (or later).

The file "compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122.rpm" can be found on the Operating System's installation CD's and can be installed via "rpm -Uv compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.122"

However, I can start the db server, get into the editor, do proutil's and the like so far without issue. I have not tried the appserver yet (that's next on our list). At this point it is only the tabanalys and dbanalys that fail.

ADDENDUM: Rob, I've asked Progress support that very question as to the requirement of the library. I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited:

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
ADDENDUM: Rob, I've asked Progress support that very question as to the requirement of the library. I'll let you know what they say.

Good. At this point it's not clear whether they were just fishing for a solution or if it is actually required for something. And if the latter, it's good to know what the "something" is.

LarryD

Rob, you were correct... they were hoping the missing library was the solution given that it's solved other issues like this. So it looks like it is not required (as far as I know right now).

According to our open case with Progress, development has found the problem and it's in the QA testing phase now. Will let you know if it's a hot fix or whatever. Everything else seems to be working fine.

LarryD

Well, reportedly they have it fixed, but no hotfix is available. It will be fixed in 11.3.2 which should be out in a "couple of weeks". This was one of the last fixes to make the .2 release deadline.

Turns out it's leftover legacy code from version 8 that was still in the product (that message referring to ITBLBLK meant something to Gus which allowed them to track down the issue).

As far as I can tell, with the exception of the tabanalys and dbanalys, the rest of 11.3.1 seems to be working fine. We will be going to 11.3.2 as soon as it's available since we like to do those types of analysis now and then.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
As far as I can tell, with the exception of the tabanalys and dbanalys, the rest of 11.3.1 seems to be working fine. We will be going to 11.3.2 as soon as it's available since we like to do those types of analysis now and then.

Thanks again Larry for the updates. The ability to run dbanalys is important to me, and when doing D&L it's essential for verification of success. And given that I'll be moving to 11.3 from 10.2B, my client upgrades will involve D&L wherever possible. So I will definitely want to use 11.3.2 as a starting point.

LarryD

Rob, just got notification that 11.3.2 got released today. As soon as Progress puts it in our download area, I'll get it installed and let you know if the issue is resolved.

UPDATE: Just installed 11.3.2 and all is well with dbanalys and tabanalys.

FYI -- This only affected *nix.

Last edited: