starting proserve on Windows.

melvin12

Hi

I need to connect to the progress server via network.
I am using openedge 10.0B on windows platform.
I don't know how to invoke the script proserve.bat, i mean what parameters to use.
I tried
Code:
proserve.bat "c:\OpenEdge\WRK\moja" -n 3 -S 4000  -N tcp -H localhost
but i didn't work. It opens port 4000 tcp but when i try to connect it does nothing.

I will be grateful if someone could help me.

ps. i am not interested to run proserve.bat in shared memory mode.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
1) 10.0B is old and unsupported. You should upgrade to 10.2A.

2) How are you trying to connect? (what command line) And what machine are you on when you try? -H localhost is limiting connections to only be allowed from localhost. Are you attempting to connect from a remote host? Or are you using a different -H?

3) -N is not needed. The only supported network protocol is tcp.

4) -n 3 is way, way too low. You need 1 for the broker, 1 for the server, 1 for the BIW, 1 for the AIW and 2 more for APWs. Plus WDOG, PROMON and proshut. And then your users.

melvin12

I'm sorry I use OpenEdge 10.1.B.

I'm using command line
Code:
proserve.bat "c:\OpenEdge\WRK\moja" -n 3 -S 4000  -N tcp -H localhost

I try connect from localhost so "-H localhost" is right.

My licence is limits using up to 5 users. So i can't write "-n 10" I can only write "-n 5".
I hope it doesn't make my problem impossible to solve.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
No need to apologize, just plan to keep your maintenance current and upgrade soon.

-n is not the same as your license count. Licensing terms are far too complex for that. -n is just the number of connections to the database. Many connections are not "users" nor are they "devices" and thus they are non-licensed (such as the connection need to shutdown the db) so it makes no sense to equate -n with connections.

Go ahead and change -n to something more reasonable. Or just let it default (the default value is 20).

That may solve your problem. If it does not then we will need to know more -- like the actual error messages and any .lg file messaes that you get when you attempt to connect.

vfiscal

Hi, I am new to Progress (never used) and I need to make a connection to a server this is the command I am running from a windows shortcut :

U:\DLC\bin\prowin32.exe -p diarioreloj.w -db sirh -d dmy -yy 1940 -T p:\sirh7nt\temp -s 63 -N tcp -S tarik -H svr-nom -cpstream ibm850 -ininame sirh_nomina.ini -TM 31 -TB 31 -B 2000 -P sepcom63 -U tarik

ths is the error I am getting : Unable to find server tarik with protocol TCP in file Services (5192)

the version for Progress server (9b) is very old but I only use it to run this program

Please help, I will really apreciate

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It is possible that your DNS and/or host & ports files aren't set up properly. Try using the port # and IP address rather than the service & service names (-S tarik -H svr-nom). If using the numbers works you have connectivity and you just need to fix the networking configuration.

vfiscal

now I am getting this error :

could not connect to server for database sirh, errno 0 (1432)

by the way...I did not setup the server, how can I found out the port to connect ?? I know that the server is svr-nom

It was working OK but I had to format the machine were this icon was

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Is the "sirh" database up and running?

You can find the port number by checking the running database on the server that you are trying to connect to. If you have other clients that connect without trouble you should be able to copy their configuration.

vfiscal

Hey TomBascom, just want to say thank you !!

I manage to get out of the problem copiyng the service file from the server, I was missing the port number to make the connection

thanks again and keep the good work, this is a great forum !!