Starting a .p file by double-clicking on its icon

aschott

Hello All,

I need to start up a .p file by double-clicking on its icon (from the folder it’s stored in). When I do this, the procedure editor starts up and displays the file. I then select ‘ProTools’ from the ‘Tools’ menu and click on the PROPATH icon. The Propath Editor is displayed. I change the propath and then click the OK button.

QUESTION: Does anyone know WHERE this propath is stored? When you open a session by using a shortcut you normally nominate an .ini file that will store your propath and session details. In this case, I’m not nominating an ini file. I assumed Progress would use the default progress.ini file stored in the /bin directory, but this is not the case. When I open this file, the modified propath is not there. As a matter of fact I can’t find any .ini file where this propath is stored.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this? I want to know because I would like to modify the details (screen cosmetics) of a session opened by double-clicking a .p file.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

aschott

Yes, I did. I even did a search looking for any files modified on the date I changed the propath, but could not find any holding the propath.

aschott

I have answered my own question. The propath is stored in the Windows registry. (KB ID: P113237). Thanks for your reply vinod_home.

RealHeavyDude

The PROPATH is stored in the ini.

When you install Progress the contents of the progress.ini which is located in the installation directory are written to the registry. The search order for that ini is, unless specifying otherwise ( using the -basekey and -ininame start parameters ), first the registry and then the first occurrence of the file progress.ini in your PROPATH.

The default registry key is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PSC\PROGRESS\{your-progress-version}\Startup

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

aschott

Thanks RealHeavyDude, I'm wondering if it would be possible to store other startup parameters in the registry, like -H, etc.

RealHeavyDude

The ABL provides functionality to store and read anything you want in the Windows registry provided you have the necessary access privileges.

Regarding connection parameters:

• If you connect the database at session start ( IMHO that is not best practice ) then you must supply the connection parameters on the command line or in a parameter file.
  • If you connect with the ABL CONNECT statement in a running session then you can retrieve the necessary information from wherever you want ( the Windows dumpster too ).

Have a look into the following knowledge base entry:
IMHO the question is not whether you can, but, whether you want to ...

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.