[Stackoverflow] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] UTF-8 Problems with Symfony on OpenEdge ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeiRi

i'am running a PHP website for a company with Symfony 4.4 (PHP 7.3, Ubuntu Server 18.04). To implement some new features i have to fetch data from a third party openedge database (progress, UTF-8) via odbc. Most of the data stored there is in czech language, so a lot of letters have diacritics. The odbc connection itself is working and gives me data. But all characters having diacritics dont work. To get data via php i use the symfony console (created a command which starts my php code). For the php code i followed the OpenEdge Knowledgebase (link).

Example: The column i want to get via odbc contains: Věra

My Code:

Code:
$conn_id=odbc_connect("dsn_name","sysprogress","xxx", SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC);
$sql = "select * from pub.table where id=1234";
$cur = odbc_exec($conn_id, $sql);
while(odbc_fetch_row($cur)){
    $string = odbc_result($cur, 9 ); //Věra
}
echo $string;

The output is "Vra", the letter with diacritic is missing.

What i also tried to find the source of the problem:

1. Write the $string into a csv (Unix LF having UTF-8-BOM). Insert is "VSUBra"
  2. Write the string into own DB (postgres 10.3). Same Problem
  3. Tried lots of encodings like utf8_encode, utf8_decode, iconv, mb_convert_encoding.. Same Problem
  4. i created a new php-file, only having the code above and startet it with php -f test.php. The result: Věra

To me it looks like the UTF-8 problem is with Symfony, cause without Symfony the data is displayed correctly.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

Greetings Heiko

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.