[stackoverflow] [progress Openedge Abl] Frequent Database Schema Changes And Generic Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hugo Lujan

We have a database system that is developed in-house. Requests to change the code to accommodate changing business needs and bug fixes demand that schema changes are often applied as part of the software solution. Given that the software development cycle is 2 weeks long this entails the dreaded (and long) time to update the database schema when changes are deployed to the production database. One of the proposals is to create a generic table to cope with the so frequent rate of changes and possibly allow to postpone them or delay them long enough so that at least every 4 weeks the schema changes will be applied instead of by-weekly. I personally have thought of an extra database that can hold the changes to the schema instead of creating the generic table (I dislike the idea of it). My idea is to put the changes in the smaller database which would then be deployed faster than applying the changes to the bulkier main database. Any ideas, or suggestions?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.