SQL connection through ODBC after server startup

I have a situation that keeps surfacing. I have remote users and SQL users connecting to my OE10.1C database (with different proserve). When ever I reboot, the SQL users are denied access. I have done some research and it is because the remote users are taking up the servers before an ODBC request come through. I have 10 database servers with 20 max each. It loads horizontally so that in a very short time, all 10 are 4GL servers and I cannot create SQL servers. This is a major pain as I do not always have the time to go to my SQL machine to make an ODBC connection before all servers are 4GL.

I am at that point now with all my production users on the system. I need to get an SQL server started, which means that I have to some how stop a 4GL. I REALLY do not want to reboot the database to accomplish this. Any ideas?

HELP!!!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
This is why you run secondary login brokers and assign -ServerType=4GL to one and -ServerType=SQL to the other.

The solution came a bit from this info, but not in starting an SQL broker. I was already doing that. I really just needed to set the Mi. I don't really need level loading, so i I set it to 10, and my issue is now resolved.

Thanks for all fo the advise!

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
So you're just preventing new servers from spawning by loading up one server with lots of clients.

A better practice is run separate 4GL and SQL brokers and keep -Mi at 1 for each of them. This avoids issues, makes troubleshooting much easier, and prevents overloading servers.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
@dlangschied -- that doesn't make sense. Something isn't right with either your description of the problem, the solution or your understanding of what is happening or our understanding of what you have described.

If it seems to be working I guess that's good but I cannot help but think that you're going to run into again someday.

My problem very specifically was that after reboot my ODBC connections would not work. I found that I had to make a connection right away before all of the database servers were launched. If not, my 4GL users would take all of them and leave none left. This diagnosis was provided to me by this site along with launching a new proserve session as servertype SQL and make the first session 4GL. This still did not work without going in and launching an ODBC session quickly. I did not have Mi set, so that it would use one by default. This was where the issue was coming from. Now, with it set to 10, I still have one more server available after a month of activity.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You still have a BOTH server type running.. That is how the situation that you describe occurs.

The proper way to set it up is to have 2 brokers on two different ports -- one for 4GL connections and another for SQL connections.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you mean that -Mi 10 has solved your issue I think that you are wrong. You have just made it less likely to happen.

If you mean that you went back and set up two different brokers on two different ports and set -Servertype = 4gl for one of them and -Severtype = SQL for the other then, yes, you have resolved your problem.