Question Software tool required for Unit Testing GUI input

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
OE11.6 GUI
Windows

I want to do a stress test of GUI input field and I'm looking for a free software to do it. I want the software to emulate a keyboard keypress into of sequential numerical values starting from 1000 to 9999. After each iteration applies four backspaces or CTRL+A, DEL and moves onto the next sequence and doing this as fast as possible.

Many, many years ago when I used to play around with Visual Basic 5 I had source code which you were able to select any input field in any application and it would inject key presses. I can't remember where I got it or what it was called.

Anybody got any suggestions?

andre42

In theory you could write the test code in 4GL and run it in the same session. (I have seen automation done that way.) But this is not completely equivalent to simulating input from outside the application, eg. an "apply 'choose'" to a button will not visibly "press" the button. In this case that might be sufficient and would probably give you higher speed that an external tool.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
In the end, I used an Atmel ATTINY85 AVR chip which emulated a USB Keyboard. It emulated keypresses in a loop including the backspace. i.e 1 0 0 1 BACKSPACE BACKSPACE BACKSPACE BACKSPACE 1 0 0 2 until it got to 9 9 9 9.

fr_4880_size1024[1].jpg