Sockets And Licensing Implications

ForEachInvoiceDelete

Just wondering if anyone has played around with this before. (Many apologies if this has been asked before)

Hypothetical example.

I have one pc licensed correctly, connecting to a database.

I have a piece of progress code on that pc which accepts incoming tcp information using winsock.

Multiple "client" machines then send requests which are processed via the progress code on the above PC, but none of these clients have any knowledge of the progress database.

It then generates dynamic queries to the progress database depending on the type of request it receives and sends information back to the client.

As far as progress is concerned, even though 50 clients may be requesting information from one machine, there is only one connection to the database and thus no licensing issues?

There is probably some caveat i am simply overlooking to do with named user licensing but cant find any proper documentation on it.

- ForEach

TheMadDBA

I am almost 100% certain this would be considered a license violation.

Named User”: A Named User is a single individual, Non-Human Operated Device or Process.

They have changed the language around a bit but I know PSC considers this a misuse and would expect you to have appserver or webspeed components.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You will need to be licensed for 50 users.

Connection pooling schemes still require licenses even if you use something other than an app server or webspeed or a plain old progress client.