Server migration

Arunselvan

How to migrate Progress 7.1E version Database which resides in ALPHA server to 9.1D version Database in IBM AIX server?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
My first question is why you are stopping at 9.1D? You'll still be on an ancient and obsolete release. Even 9.1E is unsupported. For all the effort you might as well go all the way to 11.

vijayakiran.m

this reply was given by a member of progress talk.

A migration always involves two steps:

• Migrating the database
  • Migrating the application

Migrating the application:
Usually you just re-compile all source code with the new version and you are done.

Migrating the database:
You have several options to migrate the database:

• Minor version upgrade: Just install the new version an start the database. Apart in rare case truncating the before image is not necessary.
  • Major version upgrade: Most likely you would want to use new features that have been implemented. If that is the case you need to dump and load the database. Otherwise you could just use the migration utility. But in order to use the migration utility you must truncate the before image in the old version.

Arunselvan

Hi thanks for your reply.Actually my senior want me to make a document regarding this. He want to test my skills using this. I just want the general steps what i have to do for this issue.

I ll tell you the informations he gave to me.

1)Progress 7.1E database is in a server which running in ALPHA OS.
2)Client had provided new empty server which running in IBM AIX OS.
3)I have to install Progress 9.1D (He didn't mentionen service pack) in new IBM AIX server.
4)After that I have to migrate the 7.1E database to new IBM AIX server which contains progress 9.1D version. He stated that "no need to create application area in 9.1D database. Just store all data in schema area itself".

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Then someone is telling you to write up a document for doing something which is ... in quite a few ways ... not good practice.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
If you can migrate form version 7 to version 9 then you must be able to compile code. Therefore there is no justification at all for stopping at 9.1D. Are you also upgrading everyone's desktops to Windows 3.1?

9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. (Just imagine what that makes 7.1E...)

Progress for AIX is 32 bits only prior to 10.0B.

Current releases are 10.2B06 and 11.0.

On the bright side he isn't actually asking you to do it. Just research it as a "test of skills". Hopefully that means that there is no actual 7.1E database nor any plan to do something as ridiculous as implement a 9.1D system in 2012.

Anyhow, if your senior is "testing your skills" the skill that you are exercising is "internet research" so you should pull together all of the issues and comments and probably grab a copy of the "product availability guide" from Progress' website to help document what you have been told here.