Scan Barcode using Scanner Gun & Save Scanned Data

darshi

Hi all,

Need help with below :

• I need to create an interface (UI) wherein I will scan the barcodes using scanner gun
  • The scanned value sits on the respective field of the UI interface
  • Save this scanned value into the database field
  • With this scanned value generate an another label
1) Need to understand how can we save the scanned barcode value into the database field using progress 4gl.
2) An another query not Is it possible to have this interface on the Scanner Gun?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Answering #2 first as it's a simple (ish) answer. No you can't run a Progress client on the scanner gun.

#1 depends a little on the scanner gun. From your #2 question I assume it's not just a scanner but actually has the capability to have an interface on it. In other words the device probably isn't connected to a machine running Progress, but essentially has an interface that allows you to send the data scanned somehow to a machine.

The best way to do what you want (IMO) is to build a REST API in your application that the scanner then calls. Not a simple solution necessarily, but future proof, and then you can stick whatever interface you like over the top of the scanner.

darshi

Answering #2 first as it's a simple (ish) answer. No you can't run a Progress client on the scanner gun.

#1 depends a little on the scanner gun. From your #2 question I assume it's not just a scanner but actually has the capability to have an interface on it. In other words the device probably isn't connected to a machine running Progress, but essentially has an interface that allows you to send the data scanned somehow to a machine.

The best way to do what you want (IMO) is to build a REST API in your application that the scanner then calls. Not a simple solution necessarily, but future proof, and then you can stick whatever interface you like over the top of the scanner.

Right , okay, let me ask a different question in that case:

Assuming it is a normal scanner gun which will be connected to the progress running machine (no interface on the scanner) the interface will be on the QAD NETUI screen, in this case , is there a way that when a scanner scans the barcode, I can read it and save the scanned data in the QAD database without the use of Automation Solutions.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
So it's just a scanner connected via a wire? The scanner should just output the scanned value as text. Create a screen on your application with a fill in and there you go.

darshi

So it's just a scanner connected via a wire? The scanner should just output the scanned value as text. Create a screen on your application with a fill in and there you go.

Happy to hear there is something that can be done.

By fill-in : do you mean like this:
1659336937494.png

Please correct me if I'm wrong and please let me know how can I write it otherwise.

Hello,

We are running progress on windows scanner gun by rds connexion and you can do the same with android scanner gun and it's running prety well since more than 10 years

darshi

Hello,

We are running progress on windows scanner gun by rds connexion and you can do the same with android scanner gun and it's running prety well since more than 10 years
How we do that , though ? Any document or anything that I can refer to ?

I do not have any documentation because it's the infrastructure services that did that.
But to summit up simply:
We have windows virtual server that when a user connect to it an auto launch start up the 4Gl app
And on the Scan Gun that has a windows OS or an android OS on it (you need something like this), at the start of the user session on the scan gun we openup a remote desktop connexion to the windows virtual server.
We are doing it with virtual computer but I think you could do the same with physical.
The easy way is still to have a simplier scan gun connected to a pc by USB ;).
After that it depends on the mobility that your user need.

darshi

I do not have any documentation because it's the infrastructure services that did that.
But to summit up simply:
We have windows virtual server that when a user connect to it an auto launch start up the 4Gl app
And on the Scan Gun that has a windows OS or an android OS on it (you need something like this), at the start of the user session on the scan gun we openup a remote desktop connexion to the windows virtual server.
We are doing it with virtual computer but I think you could do the same with physical.
The easy way is still to have a simplier scan gun connected to a pc by USB ;).
After that it depends on the mobility that your user need.

Agree , easier to do is connect to a PC by USB : D
Thank you though for your inputs.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
When I have done this in the past ... a fairly distant pass ... we were using scanners with a docking station so that the warehouse people could go all over the warehouse and then return to the docking station. The docking station was connected to a PC, possibly USB, possibly serial, and it connected back to the main computer with a pseudo port so there was a client Progress program running on the terminal. One advantage of guns with docking stations is that one needed far fewer upload/download sessions than warehouse worker with guns.

darshi

When I have done this in the past ... a fairly distant pass ... we were using scanners with a docking station so that the warehouse people could go all over the warehouse and then return to the docking station. The docking station was connected to a PC, possibly USB, possibly serial, and it connected back to the main computer with a pseudo port so there was a client Progress program running on the terminal. One advantage of guns with docking stations is that one needed far fewer upload/download sessions than warehouse worker with guns.
So that means the gun was only doing the job of scanning ? And the job of docking was to transmit the data to the PC inturn to QAD?

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Yes, it has been quite a while now, but as I remember we uploaded the picking list to the gun while it was in the dock and then downloaded the results. I think the dock was nothing more than a dumb connection and I think the port on the local computer was actually connected via the OS to a pseudo port on the Unix box at HQ. Warehouse in NJ, HQ in California. And Integrity/Solutions, not QAD.

darshi

Yes, it has been quite a while now, but as I remember we uploaded the picking list to the gun while it was in the dock and then downloaded the results. I think the dock was nothing more than a dumb connection and I think the port on the local computer was actually connected via the OS to a pseudo port on the Unix box at HQ. Warehouse in NJ, HQ in California. And Integrity/Solutions, not QAD.
Thank you for the details.