Save Word Document on Database

Can anyone advise on methods that would allow Word Documents to be stored on a Progress database.
This is to allow users on different Network sites (but sharing the same UNIX database) to share documents.
Once stored, we would also require to retrieve the document for reprinting.
If not, can anyone suggest another method to allow document sharing? 5;~@

Ideas:

Progress wouldnt have been my first choice in creating a file sharing system. Most servers allow you to assign rights to users for individual files. If you create a good network structure you should have no problems with this simple solution.

You could of course create an Intranet. I would recomend installing Perl on your server if you dont already have it and then using CGI scripts to manage the users. I wrote a script to do this once and worked very well.

You can use a simpler (and worse) solution if you implement Microsoft Frontpage. There is an example Intranet with file management already on the CD. It is quit easy to hack though!!!

The progress Idea is probably not so hot but:

You could write a document sharing program saving the path name of the document in a variable and then calling the document to the local machine.

If you create your word documents using progress and OLE you can save all information in the database and reproduce the word document at any time. We use this method to produce offers because no ERP system that I know has a "good" offer module.

dancar

Document sharing

The intranet solution would be the way to go. Simple to implement.
I have both a Progress and unix scripting solution that would make documents available via web browsers. Too it creates an html index for simple access and categorization of documents.