Reset Administrator password

KHARITON

Hi,

We need to reset the Administrator password of our Progress 9.1E installation. We have the sysprogress password. Is this possible?

Many thanks for your help,

Khariton

rstanciu

A progress database has two ways of use over a 4GL client and over a SQL client.
Each used mode has differents security/autorisation modes. 4GL authorisation and SQL
authorisation which acts independent.
The full owner of a database is the user who has created the database.
If you have a SQL user passord you can not change rights on 4GL rights.

taqvia

If your are able to connect to the database pro <dbname> or mpro <dbname> you can chnage the _user account (including password) with the help of below 4gl.

DEFINE VARIABLE cNewPassword AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.
DEFINE TEMP-TABLE tempUser NO-UNDO LIKE _User.
FIND FIRST _User WHERE _User._UserId = "userid" EXCLUSIVE-LOCK NO-ERROR.
IF AVAILABLE (_User) THEN DO:
BUFFER-COPY _User EXCEPT _User._Password TO tempUser ASSIGN
tempUser._Password = encode("jill").
DELETE _User.
CREATE _User.
BUFFER-COPY tempUser TO _User.
END.
ELSE
MESSAGE "This Userid does not exist"
VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX INFO BUTTONS OK.

Arshad

KHARITON

Thanks for your help so far.

I probably should have been a little clearer -- it is the Administrator user/pass for connecting to the AdminServer (via the Progress Explorer Tool), rather than a user within the 4GL or SQL side of things.

I thought originally that Windows authentication was used (i.e. I would use then use the regular windows administrator credentials) but this doesn't seem to be the case...

Khariton

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I thought originally that Windows authentication was used (i.e. I would use then use the regular windows administrator credentials) but this doesn't seem to be the case...

Well depends on what server you connect to. If you connect locally to the appserver on windows and you have the right permissions then you can log on with your own user name (no pw needed).

If you connect remote then you need to have suffient priviliges to connect to the adminserver. Most times you need administrator or root permissions to do so.

Casper.