Reg:Version migration

vijayakiran.m

Dear Team,

can u help with step by step process and what are prerequisites i have to take for the below mentioned question.

>how will u migrate progress version9.1C to 9.1D??

Regards,
Vijaya

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Why are you only migrating that far? 9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported. At least go to 9.1E which is also ancient, but not quite so bad. Preferrably you should be going to 10.1 or 10.2.

The steps for your upgrade are simple though I'd have thought. Stop the databases and upgrade the server. Restart the databases. Upgrade your clients.

RealHeavyDude

A migration always involves two steps:

• Migrating the database
  • Migrating the application

Migrating the application:
Usually you just re-compile all source code with the new version and you are done.

Migrating the database:
You have several options to migrate the database:

• Minor version upgrade: Just install the new version an start the database. Apart in rare case truncating the before image is not necessary.
  • Major version upgrade: Most likely you would want to use new features that have been implemented. If that is the case you need to dump and load the database. Otherwise you could just use the migration utility. But in order to use the migration utility you must truncate the before image in the old version.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
FWIW -- while truncating the bi file is not always required when migrating between minor releases I do find a certain comfort level in doing so.

Also, make sure that "backup" is one of your initial steps.

vijayakiran.m

Dear Tom,

There is small proposal of converting alpha server(old) to IBM AIX server(new)

progress version :-7.3 E(alpha server) & 9.1D(IBM AIX SERVER)

mfgpro app :- 7.4 H(alpha server) & eb sp4(IBM AIX SERVER)

CAN U PLEASE GUIDE ME STEP BY STEP PROCESS. IT'S PLEASURE IF U PROVIDE ME PDF/DOCUMENT SO THAT I CAN FOLLOW THAT.

If u have any documents/pdfs pls mail to kiran4u555@gmail.com

Regards,
vijaya.