reg aistall and -L

hi all
Greetings to you.

could u pls explain wat is the use of -aistall.even in my test database,i didnt have any ai extents but wen i gave the cmd proserve dbname
-aistall,it doesnt throw any error(since there is no ai extent in my database) why?
wat is the use of -L parameter?how to calculate it?

thanks in advance

regards
Richards.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You're asking two dramatically different questions in one post... I'll answer the one that relates to the subject line.

-aistall is an ancient and, basically, no longer useful option that will simply "stall"the db if the ai extents gets too full. I can't think of a reason to be using it post version 8.

palthe

And for the -L: this is a startup parameter referring to the number of Lock table entries the database may use.

So if you have major transactions, which do a lot of locking at times, it is wise to, say, put it at 100000.
Or you could look at the business logic and downsize the transactions, of course.

Or, if you plan a one time huge transaction scope, do it single user...

Beware, the -L does require system resources. As I recollect, one lock table entry is 18 bytes. So 100000 entries will take (we can all do the math here :D) about 1,7 Megabyte of system memory (yes I use the 1024 value ;)).

I do not know exactly what the maximum (system dependent) is here, but I do know that giving a value that is too high will cause the db not to start.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
-L is using a lot more memory per unit in later releases of OE10. If I recall correctly it's up to 30 or so bytes per entry now.