Promsgs

mrobles

Hi.

Why Progress not puts the environment variables at the time of installation?
This happened in
a) Windows 8 and Progress 11.1
b) Windows 10 and Progress 11.5

The variables are DLC and PROMSGS,
Also not puts the DLC to the path variable

Thanks a lot.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
You will note that it is also not paying attention to those environment variables if you set them.

RealHeavyDude

To be more precise:

Those settings are taken from the ini. An ini may either reside in the Windows registry or a file on disk where the Windows registry takes precedence over a file on disk when both exist and you are not explicitly telling the client to use the file.

There is a progress.ini file which resides in the installation directory and is customized with what you enter during the installation. At the end of the installation it is loaded into the Windows registry.

If you don't specify -ini nor -basekey "INI" this progress ini from the registry will be picked up no matter what.

Therefore I prefer to have the ini in _MY_ file to avoid default settings being picked which is not very transparent at all. I always specify -ini <path_to_my_ini_file> -basekey "INI" ( which tells the client to use the file and not the Windows registry ).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

mrobles

Hi and thanks to everyone.

Then, many times progress can not save in the registry, although I execute the install procedure as administrator.
I searched promsgs in the registry and not found any entry.

Normally I use an .ini file, but I have that "pebble in the shoe" from many time ago.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Presumably, in the absence of any other settings, promsgs is presumed to be in DLC. That would certainly be the expected thing.

RealHeavyDude

You must understand that the contents of the progress.ini are imported into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry hive. Therefore you should look into personal registry hive of the Administrator account to find it. That is one reason why I don't like this one bit.

Nevertheless, you could export the registry key from the Administrator user account and import it into the user's account.

Did I mention that I don't like the Windows registry - not one bit. Too often I have experienced serious problems on Windows systems just because of a f**ked up registry - the registry hell. To me it is a dump for each and everyone and Windows does not ship with proper tools to fix it once its FUBAR.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.