Promsgs

sixgunn

At random times during runtime, my code produces the following error: "error=9 reading promsgs, file may have been deleted. Unable to format message number 1353"

I am using version 8.3b with a local copy of the promsgs file in the Windows folder.

Any ideas on what causes this?

Thanks,

mra

Junior???? Member
Promsg

First of all, error number 1353 means:

SYSTEM ERROR: <function>: Unable to build mandatory field array. (1353)

The mandatory field array is a PROGRESS internal data structure used to determine which database fields may not be assigned an unknown value (?). This message may be caused by an extraordinary number of mandatory fields in a single schema file, or by an internal system error.

I'm not shure why progress can't show you the error, but my guess is, that the file is corrupt, or that some other process is preventing you from opening it.

Regards
Mike

jamesmc

Hi there,

Perhaps you might want to keep a copy of the promsgs file somewhere on your propath?

HTH,
James.

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I would also recommend setting your PROMSGS variable if not already set. Add something like:
Code:
set PROMSGS=C:\DLC\PROMSGS
into your autoexec.bat. Change C:\DLC to whereever you are keeping your promsgs file. The error 9 means bad file descriptor, so it looks like for whatever reason it can't find the promsgs file at certain times.

HTH.

-Chris