Question Progress (Schema Holder) SQL connection

Hi,

Below is one of the lines in a Client PF file for a Progress (Schema Holder) SQL connection
-RO -db c:\db\data\sports2000_sh -1 -db Dev -ld sports -U xxxxxxx -P yyyyyy -1 -Dsrv skip_schema_chec

from the above line, my understanding is Database connection is Read-Only & Connection is the single-user mode. Is that right?
If it is right. Can anyone explain how progress is handling Lock strategies? We can see Locking related errors in the Appserver log.... One procedure is waiting for the other to release a record. Kind of deadlock. In this type of single-user environment how these types of errors can happen? It is happening only to few customers whose record updates are in huge numbers. SQL Read and Write is pretty slow Will it is an issue? Kindly explain.
I can see -1 in 2 places, first, -1 is single-user what is the second -1? Same case for -db also. Why we are using 2 times.

Thanks
-Philip-

Stefan

sql92 is about sql92, your question is about DataServers.

This is a local connection to a schema holder, you do not need -1 at all, -RO is sufficient.

The read only parameter only applies to the schema holder which only provides the mapping from Progress OpenEdge table, field names and data types to the target database.

The target database is multi-user.

Thank you. Target database you mean SQL DB or Progress DB? Please explain. I want to know in this environment, a Progress DB Server will spawn and waiting for client connections? Why I am asking this doubt because I have not seen any -H, -S parameters in the client PF.
Any link to read in detail about this will help me.
Thanks
-Philip-

Stefan

The target database is a SQL Server database.

The connections can be put in the schema holder, you can view this from Data Administration [ DataServer / MS SQL Server Utilities / Edit Connection Information... ] or they can be provided additionally on the command line as in your case.

-db dev indicates that an odbc data source named dev is used to connect to the SQL Server database.

Thank you. We have both Progress and SQL customers for the same application with the same code base. Performance-wise Progress customers are happy however in SQL DB is very slow. Do you have any suggestions to improve the performance? I mean any parameters either on the client-side or on the server-side to increase/decrease?

Stefan

Thank you. We have both Progress and SQL customers for the same application with the same code base. Performance-wise Progress customers are happy however in SQL DB is very slow. Do you have any suggestions to improve the performance? I mean any parameters either on the client-side or on the server-side to increase/decrease?
There are various knowledge base / documentation articles on DataServer performance. There are also various improvements in later OpenEdge releases for server side joins (also for DataServer).