Progress/NT 8.3b and 2gig backup file limit?

jerryk

Hello All,

I'm normally around Unix Progress, and there you can't have a backup file larger than 2gig unless you have Progress V9.

Today I'm looking at a Wintel Progress 8.3b system that just did a probkup online and produced a 3.3gig file with no prompts or errors. ....is this right?

Thanks for all opinons, etc.

-Jerry

AFAIK the 2 gig limit is a limit imposed by single volume databases. Multi-volume databases get round this issue.

Multi-volume databases can be used in version 8 and version 9, but I think only version 8 can use single volume databases.

Therefore it is possible that your database is v8 multi volume.

Jon

jerryk

Many thanks for your response. I guess I misunderstand where 2gig limits come from.

I thought 2gig limits existed because Progress wasn't using 32bit addresses internally....Similar to FAT16 and 2gig partition limits... Must be there's some other reason for these limits on Pre-v9 Progress.

So, when you say multi-volume are you talking about multi-extent database, or multi-volume backup files?

Our 8.3 system created a single backup file 3.4gig in size.

Interestingly, I called QAD about this (they do our Progress support) and I'm still waiting for an answer. :)

I believe the Progress limit on 2gig is due to 32bit restrictions.

However, Progress gets round this by using multiple extents each with its own maximum of 2gig.

If you look at you DB, does it have files called .d1, .d2 instead of all the data being stored in the .db.

If so you're using multiple data extents/volumes.

The 2 gig limit still applies, but only to each extent/volume.

The 2 gig limit on backup files does not relate to Progress. I am under the impression that the way Progress backs up is to simply stream the data from the database into one big file ignoring empty spaces.

Since this stream is OS based, the 2 gig limit would only apply if the OS had that limit. Since you don't have a problem, I'd say you OS was fine. Similarly, when the restore is done Progress stream from the source using OS and writes to its specified extent/volume.

Jon

P.S. not 100% sure that I've got it right or used the correct terminology, but I think it mostly accurate .