[progress News] [progress Openedge Abl] Pay Attention To Programming And Hardware Trends

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Johnson

Keeping up with the latest data connectivity programming trends and techniques is essential. Successful developers adapt to change.

slide-34-stripped.jpg

Adapting to Change

The one constant in our industry is change. Many developers in the software industry are unaware of the changes taking place in the hardware that our software runs on. One of the ways Progress® DataDirect® whips up our secret sauce for optimized performance is by paying close attention to programming techniques and hardware trends so you don’t have to.

There’s been a lot of change in hardware over the past few years, and modern processors are very different than processors from even a few years ago. From the number of caches that they have now to how they handle their buffers—all of these things have evolved and will continue to.

Concurrency and Threading Techniques

When you get a new compiler, whether it is a Java compiler or a C compiler, it will contain a lot of interesting new APIs that you can use to tune your code to run on specific pieces of hardware.

Here’s an example: For C++ a few years ago, there were some university projects on introducing concurrency in threading techniques. There were assertions that you could wrap around your code—you could say, “This piece of code, this loop, I want you to unpack it and run it on four processors at the same time if they are available.” We created this idea so we wouldn’t have situations where customers say, “I’m running this on a virtual machine and I’m not getting that much performance,” and we’d reply, “How many cores do you have allocated to that virtual machine?”

Configuring Virtual Machines

When discussing how virtual machines are configured, we would hear things like, “We had two processors allocated to that virtual machine; they had more to give.” So we said, “Just try adding two more.” They added two processors to that virtual machine and more than doubled their throughput. As a result, they were getting around four and a half times improvement just by doubling resources!

Hardware Matters

At the end of the day, you must understand what is going on at the hardware level to get the performance that your application requires and deserves. Check out our drivers and discover what a difference they can make on your application performance.

Fastest in the Industry

The drivers my team and I build here at Progress® DataDirect® are designed to be the fastest in the industry, and we stand behind that claim with award-winning technical support. When you find performance issues in our software, we treat them like any defects because we understand how important speed is to your business. You can pick up a free trial today and try it out for yourself, or watch a replay of our Progress webinar, “Industry Insight: Optimizing Your Data for Better Performance.” Don’t forget to check back for more insights and insider tips from Progress DataDirect!

2290308.gif

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.