[Progress News] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Meet Filip Cerny, Product Marketing Manager at Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jessica Kent

Today, we shine a spotlight on Filip Cerny, who has been recognized for “Dare to Innovate,” one of the ProgressPROUD core values we strive to embody every day.

Throughout his career in the tech industry, Filip Cerny has learned a lot about creativity and innovation. After working as a financial consultant, Filip made the jump to product marketing and hasn’t looked back. Filip and his team consistently find new ways to appeal to customers and partners, and new solutions for any challenges that may arise.

Learn more about Filip, his role at Progress and his professional basketball aspirations in the interview below.

How did you get into the tech field?​

I graduated with my bachelor’s degree from the Faculty of Economics in Brno. At that time, I still was not quite sure what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I had a big mouth, so sales seemed like a good direction. I worked a bit as a financial consultant, and one of my friends who I managed a mortgage for told me to apply for a sales job at Flowmon.

Back in high school, I studied networking and completed a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification, which covers fundamental networking concepts for IT roles. Back then I thought it was a waste of time, but it became quite useful when applying for the role. Funny how things come together in time.

I started working at Flowmon in 2015. As a young salesman, I saw potential in technology and wanted to travel the world and make a lot of money.

How do innovation and creativity factor into your day-to-day at Progress?​

It’s a necessary part of my job, being in product marketing. We’re always looking for new and better ways to promote our product internally or to our partners and customers. When creating new collateral, whether it’s a PowerPoint, webinar or a website update, I always try to make it interesting and "sexy" so it will appeal to a larger audience.

What is your favorite part of your job right now?​

I can't really pick one thing. I like all of it. I have a great team and a lot of people I can rely on. Every day brings new challenges and new ways to grow.

What do you think makes Progress a great company?​

One thing I noticed from the start is how much Progress values its people and gives them opportunities to grow if they want to. I really like that.

When you’re not working, what do you like to do?​

Going to the gym and playing badminton with my girlfriend. (It’s competitive. Every time, the loser has to clean our rabbit's cage. So, stakes are high.) 

Throughout your career at Progress, has there been a certain coworker who has helped you, or who has been your favorite coworker?​

Larry Goldman, my manager, has been great from the start as a team leader and personal mentor. There are a lot of others who go way back to the early Flowmon days, like Zuzana Cebrakova, Dominik Michalek and others.

Jan Zimovcak is another coworker from the early Flowmon days who has helped me. I’ve worked with Jan on website updates, and it’s good to know you can rely on him whenever you’re juggling too many balls in the air. Jan has provided valuable insights and has taken the lead whenever I’ve been too busy with other projects.

If you weren’t in product marketing, what would you be doing?​

I’d probably be a professional basketball player dunking over Lebron James.

What are you most excited about for the future of Progress?​

The growth we can achieve together (especially with Flowmon).

To get to know other Progressers like Filip, read more of our employee interviews here.

Join our team!

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.