Progress kbase acting strange?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Is it just me or is there something stange going on with the kbase. When I navigate to: Progress KB - Home

I no longer get a search box.

If I wipe out most of that URL back to: Progress KB - Home I get the search box again but the search has become utterly useless. Worse than ever :(

Is this one of those "improvements" that they tested for months with a select group of people that were tied up behind an NDA?

LarryD

I received this email titled "Progress Support Enhancement: New Search Capabilities

"
Powerful Search Capabilities – At Your Fingertips​

Searching for Progress product and support information and not finding what you need?

Now when you search the Knowledge Base, Documentation and Tech Support sites, you’ll be using a powerful new search engine. We have integrated Coveo, the top-rated AI-powered search and recommendation software platform on the market, to ensure you get the information you’re seeking when you need it.

Plus, its powerful predictive analytics tailors your search results over time to provide the content that matters most to you. Saving you precious time, increasing your productivity and enhancing your customer experience.

Even with a 94% customer satisfaction rating, we are tirelessly driven to exceed your expectations.​

I'm guessing it's more powerful by just eliminating it?

mollyfud

People still go to the knowledge base site to search? I know of a former Tech Support Engineer (that shall remain nameless) that even when he/she worked for TS did all her/his searches via Google as the Google Site search was better than the internal search on the Knowledge base.
Just search Google with:
<search term (including Google search things)> site:knowledgebase.progress.com

Its brilliant. If you use Chrome (probably other Browsers have something similar) you can even setup a search engine something like the below image so you just type "openedge " into the URL bar and search away! So useful!

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That's true.

I don't know why but, for some reason, I have formed a very deeply engrained habit of going directly to the kbase page. Even though I have very often had the experience of not being able to get what I want that way but finding it very easily when I go to Google (with or without "site:").

So I guess the lesson is that I really need to work on changing my old habits.

andre42

I actually prefer the downloadable knowledge base most of the time. Very often I only visit the website when I want so send a link to an article to a colleague, or when I need to be absolutely sure that the results are up to date.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I actually prefer the downloadable knowledge base most of the time. Very often I only visit the website when I want so send a link to an article to a colleague, or when I need to be absolutely sure that the results are up to date.
I also like ProKB and use it almost every day. I re-download it about monthly. Although when I want info that may have changed recently I do go to the site as well.

Re: sending links, you can also get this info from ProKB. Right-click in the result list, select "Select Viewer" and then "OpenKB (online)". Then articles will open in your browser, from which you can copy the URL. Or alternatively you can just pull the URL for an article out of the ProKB DB directly, using an OE client.

andre42

Thanks for the "Select Viewer" tip, I never tried a right-click in the result list. Very handy, usually I just searched for the title of the entry in the online knowledge base.