[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Stopping the PASOE service (sometimes this is taking extremely large amount of time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> ripple effect of disabling dynamic agent logging level changes. Fixed. "Fixed"? Do you mean we can get dynamic logging back again ( in a hotfix on 11.7.5 )? I was told to wait for 11.7.6 which may be at least six months out. (I doubt they are even giving out dates yet.) >> we have been seeing that Tomcat has shut-off client connection requests when a shutdown starts. It sounds like you have observed that client connection requests still are honored. Am I interpreting that correctly? Well, I noticed that remote connections are initially broken . You must be doing something during shutdown to try and interrupt the active ABL sessions. But after the shutdown sequence has "given up", then the service gets stuck in the "stopping" state. And my recollection is that a server at that state will begin accepting new connections again after the shutdown sequence failed. IE. we try to auto-stop the PASOE service as a scheduled task in the early hours on a Sunday morning. But if it fails to stop, then new client applications will resume working once again. And there will be no evidence that anything went wrong except for the fact that the windows service has a suspicious status of "stopping" on Monday morning. (and the catalina log can be interpreted to say that the service had tried to stop but wasn't) This is easy to repro if you care to see it for yourself. Just start with any random ABL that is called via the APSV transport and add SLEEP 300 to it. Then connect to PASOE and start running that code. Then try (and fail) to stop the windows service the normal way. Then wait and use the instance again at a later time (after the shutdown sequence has given up). I recall that it will happily let you connect to PASOE again, despite the "stopping" status of the windows service. Hope this is clear. >> have you tried the Swagger feature of the oemanager web app. I'm eager to try it. I agree that the ability to "explore" the REST API is extremely valuable. Back when I first started using REST, I had to learn it the hard way with lots of trial-and-error and lots of questions (for Irfan) in these community forums. As far as REST is concerned, I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I certainly prefer REST with swagger than without swagger. REST needs a meta-layer just like SOAP did. IMHO after we've added all necessary meta-layer on top of REST (OpenAPI, Swagger, WADL, JSON-schema, client-side API generation, etc) then it seems that we've just gone around in a circle and we're back to having a "poor-man's" substitute for SOAP. If I had to guess, there will be a new generation of programmer that will rediscover SOAP and thing it is the new-and-improved version of REST.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.