[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Schema Maintenance in SQL Server (Comparing "Pro2SQL" vs. "SQL DataServer" products)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

The gist of the question is to confirm that there is effort involved in maintaining SQL Server schema for both of these products (*and* related to the Progress "schema holder" maintenance). These technical considerations are the same for PRO2SQL and DataServer, right? It seems inevitable that they have the same technical considerations given that one is built on the other. IE. PRO2SQL is a repackaging of SQL DataServer and would involve similar effort to manage it (possibly even more effort ... since you have two "actual" schemas, and one "schema holder" image). (I wish Progress would allow customers to actually evaluate their stuff without making the license purchases first. That might avoid the need for these abstract questions in the forums. I suppose I could ask questions of my sales rep, but they probably understand the two of these products less than I do. And I haven't actually met my current sales rep yet since we are on our fifth one in the past two years). I know a guy who says he is one of the few experts on "SQL DataServer" in North America. I suspect he is right that this is a subject matter without a ton of users or experts. But I had thought/heard that PRO2SQL was getting fairly popular these days. (I'm not sure if this is true since I've only heard this from salespeople, and there is rarely any discussion about these two products here in the forums).

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.