[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Questions about the OpenEdge COMPILE Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm trying to fix a couple of problems with our compilation procedures. It occurs to me that, one day, Progress may want to consider taking over the responsibility/ownership for the compilation of OE projects . At least for larger applications it seems that the compilation process has reached a level of complexity which is beyond what OE line-of-business shops can handle on our own. I think the fact that Progress included PCT in the installation is a good first step, but Progress should probably start formally prescribing its use. Progress should also offer official support for it. Its very interesting to me that the Progress COMPILE statement (for classes) has a "unit-of-work" that writes an entire class hierarchy to disk. ... And even beyond the classes that are being written to disk, there are lots of other classes that it has to compile in memory (eg. other class dependencies that are referenced from the same code files). This is a big departure from the days when compilation involved only one "p-code" file. Given the amount of work that Progress is doing for the compilation of OO classes (and the current compilation units that already include multiple class files anyway) it seems like the next step would be to extend the compilation unit to an entire *project*. There should be a COMPILE statement that operates on an entire OE project, rather than the individual files contained in the project. This would remove some of the burden that OE customers face when we find ourselves in the position of trying to build our own compiler tooling.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.