[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE still makes mysterious distinction between RETURN ERROR CH-Error versus UNDO THRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

>> avoid mixing with classic RETURN ERROR unless you know you want the RETURN ERROR behaviour. We would like to have TOTALLY avoided "RETURN ERROR" as well. But that continues to be necessary in our top-most entry-procedure. We need to translate all AppError's into RETURN ERROR right before these errors are sent to the openclient. Or the agent logs will get very noisy. Interestingly, when I reported this difference between the two (back in 2014), the KB article was written and you will see that it includes the following note: " Resolution : Scheduled to be implemented in the 11.4 OpenEdge Release " ... see Progress KB - Error trying to pass an Error Object back to a client across the AppServer Boundary I'm not sure what that ("scheduled to be implemented") means ... but I haven't noticed any changes yet, and we are several years down the road, on a totally different appserver technology. I'm eager to see some ambitious new enhancements for PASOE (eg. allowing the full exception detail to be marshalled from the server to the .Net openclient) but I'm not holding my breath. In the meantime Progress might consider simply allowing AppErrors to pass quietly from server to client just like the RETURN ERROR does. I think that is the behavior which many ABL developers would expect, given the interchangability between RETURN ERROR and THROW AppError in the ABL runtime. It still seems a bit mysterious that the "top-most" entry-procedure decides NOT to create an AppError from the RETURN ERROR and it behaves totally differently than other procedures. In theory that top-most RETURN ERROR should be just as noisy in the agent logs as if we were THROW'ing AppError.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.