[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE still makes mysterious distinction between RETURN ERROR CH-Error versus UNDO THRO

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Thanks for the feedback. >> when RETURN ERROR happens at the top-level procedure of an AppServer and the client is a .NET client, there is no point in making an error object because there's nothing we can do with it. I think this is the part that introduces the behavior differences in behavior (insofar as whether the agent logs get a "14428" message or not). One thing I wanted to re-iterate is that, setting aside the "14428" message for THROW AppError, in all other respects, we get the same behavior for THROW AppError as we do when using the RETURN ERROR statement. This is an important thing to stress, because we'd prefer it if EITHER of these error-raising mechanisms would "escape" from the pasoe session and relay back to the client WITHOUT any additional noise in the agent log. The openclient is able to receive the "ReturnValue" in both cases, and that is a good thing. The error will become the full responsibility of the openclient. These errors which are the way that we communicate regular business-logic failures from appserver back to the openclient. It is all OTHER types of errors (not AppError or RETURN ERROR) that cannot be successfully transmitted to the openclient. They are easily "handled" from an openclient perspective, because the openclient receives no related information. And the responsibility for troubleshooting and fixing them is normally on the PASOE software developer (usually we just try to convert them into an equivalent RETURN ERROR.) Those are the ones that are most frustrating because the only information we have about them is the "14428" message in the agent log. When that unhelpful message is printed by PASOE, we lose any other details that might be helpful to find the underlying root cause. So to summarize, I would want the agent logs to stay quiet for the "handle-able" AppError's and RETURN ERROR's. But for all other types of errors I would want the agent log to at least provide the underlying messages and stack trace. Better yet, make it the responsibility of the developer to decide if/when to print details about errors "escaping" from PASOE. Most developers would remain quiet where AppError and RETURN ERROR are concerned, because those errors are things that happen as a matter of course.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.