[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: PASOE session manager question (a basic connectivity issue, with massive consequences)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

Please let me know if Progress would like to take a stab at fixing this issue. I'm happy to contact tech support and show them the repro, if that is the next step. I'm sure this repro is familiar already, since it doesn't seem very complex. The MSagent simply won't initialize a session because of a resource limit in the database. I would hope Progress would take an initiative to help with this issue ... but it is a bit discouraging to think about how long the issue has been present, without any prioritization. The logs for the session manager and MSagent are both showing incoherent error messages, so in the very least it would be nice if Progress would improve on that. Ideally they would just say that an ABL session failed to initialize because of a resource limit that is enforced in the remote DBMS. And after improving on the messages, then perhaps Progress might address the corrupted HTTP sessions as a follow-up work item too. Barring any help from Progress to fix this issue, I suppose I will need to write more custom code that would follow around behind PASOE and clean up the mess. I'm wondering what strategy to use in order to identify and terminate/expire any HTTP sessions that were created but had failed to fully initialize (... because they were not able to coordinate with the msagent and create an ABL session.) Perhpas I could make use of the time fields on the HTTP sessions : " Creation Time" and " Last Accessed Time " and " Used Time". (image below). At the moment my plan is to compare "Creation Time" and "Last Accessed Time". If they are (1) close to the same moment of time, (2) over an hour in the past, and (3) the "Used Time" never exceeded three seconds. Then I will assume it was a corrupted session and just kill it. Another thought is that perhaps this type of thing is not a Progress-specific concern at all. Perhaps I should be asking for suggestions on a general-purpose apache tomcat forum. There might be some common strategies for clean up after any arbitrary webapps that are misbehaving and leaving sessions open.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.