[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Keep sub program running in a asynchronous call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laura Stern

I may be missing something. But that is what running something asynchronous means. yyteste1.p will run on the server until it is finished. On the client side, life will just proceed on as usual. But usually, there is some UI on the client, so the user can keep on working and doing other things while the async routine is running on the server. Then at some point, the client will be notified that the async routine has finished, if you've set up an event handler for that (PROCEDURE-COMPLETE event). In this case, the caller, yyassinc.p, is shutting down it's server connection after it makes the async RUN. Why is it doing that? Is the client-side application over? If not, what is happening on the client side? Does the client never want to know that the procedure completed? It doesn't necessarily need to know. But with classic AppServer, I think when the client disconnects from the server, the server knows about it and generates a STOP condition, so the server procedure will generally not finish unless it handles a STOP condition and ignores it. In the new PASOE environment, I think it works differently, but I'm not sure how.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.