[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: Incompatible Data Types In...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

I finally figured out what I had done wrong that confused the appserver so badly. I had created my appserver by copying from another and ended up with a bad PROPATH. [UBroker.AS.dev_lumbertrack_dkb] autoStart=1 portNumber=3107 PROPATH=${PROPATH}:${OLDWORKDIR} ... uuid=1234108e8ddd6422:122206:103300801e9:-8000 workDir=${NEWWORKDIR} ... where $OLDWORKDIR was a bad/duplicate code location that was not applicable to this new copy of the appserver. When I had copied from another appserver's configuration, I had fixed the "workDir" to use ${NEWWORKDIR} (and I fixed other things like portNumber, and uuid) but I had apparently overlooked the PROPATH.... Turns out that we don't really need to specify the working directory in the PROPATH anyway. As a result of the poorly copy/pasted config, the $OLDWORKDIR location was occasionally being used for some of the executing code (especially when it had r-code available in there - and the class names weren't being fully qualified in the calling source code at $NEWWORKDIR ). The two locations for ABL programs ($OLDWORKDIR and $NEWWORKDIR) are pretty far removed from one another in the file system, but were unfortunately both accessible from the save development machine. There wasn't much in the appserver log that alerted me to the problem, even though I imagine that the flow of control was probably bouncing back and forth between two entirely different sets of code (albeit they'd sync up with each other on certain days , once my programming changes were pulled from source control). I suppose if I had configured the appserver's *broker* log to dump all its properties, including the PROPATH, I might have eventually seen the problem. I only found the problem after rebuilding my state-reset appserver line-by-line. As Evan had pointed out, state-reset and state-free should never have been behaving differently in the first place. Apparently the reason for difference in behavior was that was that only one of them had a bad PROPATH. Thanks for the tips everyone. My first suspicion was a bug in HP-UX because there have been a number of HP-UX-specific problems over the years. I suppose next time I see differences between Windows and HP-UX, I will be a bit slower to point fingers.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.