[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: Garbage collection for the sake of static temp-tables (in long-running _progres)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbeavon

When control returns from RUN dkb/ReproBug/SeedLogicWorker.p then I'm back in "DO WHILE TRUE". At that point my custom programming has *no* references to either the static TT *or* the object instances. So my question is how do I release resources after the point that execution control has returned to "DO WHILE TRUE" (eg. lets say that is my outer-most loop for a batch process, and is where I'm willing to put a bit of extra plumbing) IE. is there any way to trigger the GC to clean up after I've lost track of my own references? Do I have to create my own GC routine, like what Mike Fechner did above using SESSION:FIRST-OBJECT and looping thru VALID-OBJECT? That would be unfortunate. Is there a KB article about these "circular" references by any chance? I'm assuming that they aren't a problem if everything is consistently object instances, right? But in our case this is a combination of static data and object instances so perhaps that's what confuses the GC? I wouldn't have guessed that my simple static data definitions would instigate these types of troubles. Going back to appserver/PASOE, then in that case would the GC be able to clean up the circular references during the "forced" GC that happens during deactivate? Or would I be left with a leak there as well?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.